Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,812 Posts
I think the standard is 6", unless your running a municiple series. I just paid $83 or something close to that.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts
I pay $140 now...I used to pay about $85 three years ago but my supplier said that steel have gone up drastically in the last few years. I personally think it's bullsh!t but what can you do? Chalk it up to the cost of doing business... :crying:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
i don't have any fishers but i have been using road grader edges for two years now and they wear great. just got an CAT 8' wed for $120. they are 6" and 5/8" thick and they will last three times as long. if you don't want to buy new you can usually find used ones for free or scrap price.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
If a person runs multiple plows here's what we do. I've contacted steel suppliers and have bought regular 6" x 1/2" steel stock. I cut it and drill holes using the old edge as template. I can buy grade 8 bolts cheaper than in a bolt "kit" from Western, Etc. Only problem is I cannot do the square punched holes so I have regular bolts in my blades. I cannot tell the difference when plowing-plow rolls snow just the same and I've saved over $35 per edge even after considering my time spent.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
Sno4U;485084 said:
If a person runs multiple plows here's what we do. I've contacted steel suppliers and have bought regular 6" x 1/2" steel stock. I cut it and drill holes using the old edge as template. I can buy grade 8 bolts cheaper than in a bolt "kit" from Western, Etc. Only problem is I cannot do the square punched holes so I have regular bolts in my blades. I cannot tell the difference when plowing-plow rolls snow just the same and I've saved over $35 per edge even after considering my time spent.
is the regular stock your buying high carbon steel? if not doesn't it wear out fast?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
7,845 Posts
NJ Plowman;462240 said:
I pay $140 now...I used to pay about $85 three years ago but my supplier said that steel have gone up drastically in the last few years. I personally think it's bullsh!t but what can you do? Chalk it up to the cost of doing business... :crying:
Steel increased drastically over the last few years. You can use Meyer edges on Fisher, same bolt pattern.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,764 Posts
We buy are cutting edges direct from the manufacturer and they will make any size you want with any bolt spacing. They also make grader cutting edges as Jay talked about and every other cutting edge you can think of. They also will make your cutting edge with a carbide edge and that stuff lasts forever in a parking lot.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,128 Posts
JD Dave;485373 said:
We buy are cutting edges direct from the manufacturer and they will make any size you want with any bolt spacing. They also make grader cutting edges as Jay talked about and every other cutting edge you can think of. They also will make your cutting edge with a carbide edge and that stuff lasts forever in a parking lot.
hey JD dave we have about 20 of the 4' x 3/4"carbide edges(used). i was thinkin about cutting them in half (2')and bolting them to the ends of the plow(over the existing edge). would this work well?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
scitown;485187 said:
How much did that equipment cost? So you could cut and drill thru that stuff? That must be nice.
I've already had the tools for a few years now, for other projects that I've done. I've made my own heavy duty mulch cart, leaf plow for a Z turn, leaf collection box for a 1 ton and fixed many other things.So, I make use of them. I know the cutting edges are not carbide but, they seem to last long enough for my purposes. I've usually be able to get about 3-4 seasons out of each edge.
Also I did not make my own for my 1 V plow-that 1 I bought after market which strangely enough came from Canada!
What; can't we make anything here in the U.S.A.?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
$143 for 4' blades and $156 for the 5' ones.
This piece of equipment takes 2 of the 4' ones and 1 of the 5' ones for a total of 13' or $442 each time I have to replace them.

Snow Freezing Tints and shades Winter Wood
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top