Snow Plowing Forum banner

Remote monitoring for snow accumulation?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ktfbgb 
#1 ·
Hey guys. New here. Only one other post and it was just my introduction. Where I live, on a mountain lol, the terrain and local contributing factors play a major role in snowfall amounts. On my side of town I'm at 6,500 feet. Twenty minutes away where most my accounts are its 7,000 to 7,500 feet. So in just a few miles snow totals can vary greatly. Like for tonight's storm for example my neighborhood is forecast to receive 4-6 inches of snow. On the other side of town where I plow, they are forecast to receive 8 - 14 inches of snow.

I have been thinking about ways to remote monitor conditions on that side of town rather than stay up all night waiting to see when that side of town reaches the threshold to start plowing. My parents live on that side of town and I was thinking of installing a wifi remote outdoor security camera at their place that looks at an indicator with inch marks on it to monitor the accumulation from my tablet. Does anyone else have a set up like this? If so do you mind sharing what you used for an indicator like a 2x4 with hash marks every inch or something?

#2 ·
I use city webcams to monitor. The city cams obviously won't tell me how mulch snow has fallen but I have 1" triggers and it's pretty easy to figure oot when it's time to head oot.

What you described at your folks place would work very well.

#3 ·
Ya our webcams are pretty bad here. There are only a couple that the public can access and if it's snowing there is usually snow on the lense and you can't see anything. I'm going to give my plan a try unless I hear about a better set up, or someone who has done it and can give info on what the best marker they used was, and what camera they used.

#6 ·
Ya good idea on the statue. Or just thought of this, I know some artisan welders. Maybe a ornamental wrought iron piece that would have hash marks on it. The black on the white snow would make it super easy to read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.