Red Head gear box

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by scottr, Oct 7, 2019 at 12:52 AM.

1. scottr

scottr Senior Member

anyone using one of these after market steering gear boxs on their Ford? If so, was it all it's cracked up to be?

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i looked into these years ago. lots to read on ford truck enthusiasts. i never ending up getting one. i just couldn't justify the cost for a lousy 1 year warranty that may or may not be honored, not to mention the shipping expenses and potential downtime. i'm running an an autozone remanufactured box for almost 5 years now with no issues. it has a lifetime warranty and i can swap it out same day at the store down the road - no questions asked.

here's a quick read:
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1351189-redhead-steering-boxes.html

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have 3 of them in my Jeeps. I needed a custom box as in easy to steer (got a bad shoulder) the first box I ordered was GREAT. I ordered 2 more "Just like my other one I even gave them my receipt #. The next two were not as easy to steer.

Never had a problem with them. (other than not what I wanted)

4. OP
    OP
    scottr

scottr Senior Member

Thanks for the insight guys, I suppose like many products out there, they have good and bad reviews. I had one given to me, new in the box, ported for ram assist, I think I'll install it and see how it feels. I have trouble turning my 35's at times. My pump is new and off a ford SD 6.0 truck, so I would think it puts out plenty of psi and flow. ( also running hydro-vac)