rebuilding a c-4 tranny

hfdresq1

i need to rebuild my c-4 tranny and am in search of some advice. i am going to rebuild it myself and i heard it was a pretty easy job. i have built engines before but have never tackled a tranny. how hard a job is it and how long of a time frame am i looking at? not looking to do it in one day but i also don't want to be working on it for two weeks either.

John DiMartino

PlowSite.com Veteran
Ive never done a C4,but Gm 700 r4's take my about 6-9 hrs to actually rebuild properly,not including R&R,the c4 isnt an OD,and should go much quicker.The hardest part is cleaning,and changing out,and air testing all the seals.It is time consuming,but i love doing them myself,very rewarding when your done,snd a few years later when they still work great.

Pelican

2000 Club Member
You don't mention what the tranny came out of, but since this is a snow plow page and Ford trucks, I'll guess it's a plow truck. If it's a Ranger, then disregard the following:

I'd suggest you toss the C-4 and get a C-6 from a junkyard or other source. It will be the last tranny you'll have to do. The C-6 is a very tough transmission, if you service it regularly it should last a long time. The C-4 was a light duty tranny used in Mustangs and Falcons and base model Torinos and won't hold up well to snowplowing.

Top Forums