Rear ends

CT18fireman

Banned
I am not as knowledgable on Chevies. Did GM ever make a 6 lug one ton rear or are they half ton only?

I seem to remember that the six lugs were semi floating and 1/2 ton. I thought the one tons were full floaters whether single or dual. A buddies truck is supposedly a one ton but has a six lug rear. So I am thinking it was swapped. Any info would be helpful here.

MTCK

How old is the truck? As far as I can remember, the six lug was always semi-floating, in either a 12 bolt in the older trucks, 10 bolt in the 80's, and 10-bolt with a few semi-floating 14 bolts in the late 80's and 90's. Hope that helps.

Marcus

OP
C

CT18fireman

Banned
it is an 86 and he tells me it has 4.10s I am not sure I have not seen it. I am going to get it on the lift tomorrow. All I know is that he told me the wheels had 6 lugs and I always thought that was a 1/2ton for GM. If so we will probably want to swap the axle out for a one ton.

PlowSite.com Addict
To the best of my knowledge, from that era 6 lug is 1/2 ton 4x4 for GM, 5-lug is 1/2 ton 2wd, and 8 lug is 3/4 and 1-ton.

1-tons either single or dual rear wheel have a full-floater axle, while the 3/4 tons came with either the full-floater (I call it a heavy 3/4) or semi-floater with 8 lugs (light 3/4)

Does the truck have a "30" or "35" on the trim badge? I'm wondering if at some point in the past front clip or trim off a 1-ton ended up on this truck (If it does have 6-lug wheels)

I've seen that sort of thing before, the welding truck I drive says "Sierra 25" on the trim badges but is a full 1-ton DRW, sometime before we got it body parts were swapped.

OP
C

CT18fireman

Banned
Well we have been looking at it yesterday and we found some things out.

It is definately a one ton (acording to Chevy who ran the vin before he purchased it) It has a big block motor and a 4 spd trans.

My best guess is that the running gear solid front and rear were replaced with half ton axles as they are six lug. It holds the 9 ft plow well but the rear end is all chewed up. With it being a one ton and the box rotted he is looking into putting some kind of dump or flatbed on it. This means that are first step is likely to be locating a one ton front and dual rear axle to bolt back on.

Thanks for the help so far I will come back if I get more info.

Top Forums