Snow Plowing Forum banner

Rear Axle Timbrens?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  mpriester 
#1 ·
Just replaced my old Techumseh powered 1.5 yard Steelcaster with a new all electric 2Yd Steelcaster. Bigger box has got me thinking its time to suck it up and put some auxiliary springs in the back.

I've got a 2005 2500HD. Looking at Timbren, I see they offer a couple sets for the rear end, one for 6K and one for 8K lbs. I also know there are some airbag kits out there.

I know some of the people I've talked to take the rear Timbrens out in the summer since they ride hard, but I do a fair amount of trailering, hauling 7-10K equipment trailers around, so I'd really like to leave them in the truck in year round.

Long story short, I'm wondering what other people are running in their trucks, and how they affect ride quality? Is it worth the extra money for air? Will either set of Timbrens be enough to keep the back end of the truck up?

#2 ·
Air bags with on board compressor

#4 ·
Air bags for sure. Firestone makes a good kit. I have installed them on every gm truck that I owned with a salter . Cost about 300 for your truck, about a 2 hour install. Never purchased the on board compressor, because it was about 500. Simple enough to add or reduce pressure with a hand held compressor. Good lick with your choice

#7 ·
Another vote for Firestone with onboard compressor. I’m running all different trailers and loads throughout the year and the onboard compressor is worth every penny.

My partner has airlift bags and they are looking pretty raggedy after 3 seasons where my Firestone’s are still looking brand new.

#8 ·
I may have stated my opinion regarding Timbrens once before...but they're the biggest scam that rank right up there with landscape fabric.

Airbags with or without a compressor. Don't waste your money on the Timbrens. Unless you enjoy riding in a lumber wagon.

#10 ·
I may have stated my opinion regarding Timbrens once before...but they're the biggest scam that rank right up there with landscape fabric.

Airbags with or without a compressor. Don't waste your money on the Timbrens. Unless you enjoy riding in a "lumber wagon."
*Dodge...!

Reactions: Hydromaster
#11 ·
If I if I remember correctly both airlift and Firestone are rated for 5000 lbs of support. I have used bothe my 2014 has the airlift and my 15 has the Firestone. They look and install almost identical and both are still in great shape. Never had a bag burst since 1988. ( 6 different trucks) all 3500 gm swr 4x4 8 foot bed. Nowadays they also come with an internal frame stop to replace the factory stop which is removed during installation. Also with a full 8' sander I have never put more than 50 lbs of pressure. They are rated to hold 100. Can't imagine ending that mush additional supprt. Unloaded just keep 20 lbs and you will never know the difference in ride

#12 ·
We have a 2009 2500hd with a 8.6 MVP 3 and a pallet of salt and tailgate spreader. This truck has Timbrens in the front and Fire Stone ride rite air bags out back and is performing well so far with this setup. I cheaped out and didn't get the on board compressor but if I did it again I would. I like the Timbrens on the front end of this truck because of the heavy plow.

Our 2011 2500hd utility body runs a 8' straight blade and this truck has the torsion bars turned up in the front and also has the Fire Stone air bags out back.

I recommend the air bags with on board compressor for your application based on my experience with these trucks

#13 ·
I have a 05 2500hd and added 2 leaves to each side in the rear and with 3800lbs it rides level and i have a 06 f250 with rear air bags and with 60lbs of air and 3200lbs in the bed it rides level. I like air bags the best because when its empty i can reduce air pressure and get my ride back but either of these 2 options are the better choice in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.