Snow Plowing Forum banner

quote question/thought...

1K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Randall Ave 
#1 ·
Was called for a quote for a parking lot on mon. Its a lot that I did for seven years for the previous owner who sold build two years ago. So I was able to email a quote right over. Sounded like they wanted quote to make a decision in a day or so.. I haven't heard back, so im planning on making a follow up call tomorrow. (I really need this lot to make up for a buss that closed) IF they say that there not going with me, would it be out of line to ask why, or how much I was off by, and should I take something off my prince if im off 20-30 $ ? I tried to sell them on service, since I seen it was done bad last year.. Just wondering what u would do... Thanks

#3 ·
You never need another lot. They went with the last guy because they are cheap. You do not need a cheap customer.

They have to decide if they want good service or low price.

You do need good customers. Though many cheap customers never will make up for one good customer.

#4 ·
32vld;2071655 said:
You never need another lot. They went with the last guy because they are cheap. You do not need a cheap customer.

You do need good customers. Though many cheap customers never will make up for one good customer.
guy bought bld last year and was going to do it him self... waited to long and grabed a guy driving by the day befor the first storm... That's what I was told by a employee..

#5 ·
32vld;2071655 said:

Maybe they paid a good price for plowing but had a dumba$$ who didn't know what he was doing. So ask away.

#10 ·
I would call and explain that your schedule is filling up quickly and you wanted to check with them before you fill your route with those on your waiting list. Remember,you are different than the rest,you provide a high level of service at a reasonable price.It is a priviledge to have you service their property. Its worked for me the last 25 years.(most of the time)

#11 ·
leigh;2071716 said:
I would call and explain that your schedule is filling up quickly and you wanted to check with them before you fill your route with those on your waiting list. Remember,you are different than the rest,you provide a high level of service at a reasonable price.It is a priviledge to have you service their property. Its worked for me the last 25 years.(most of the time)
This is what I tell people. My route fills fast so don't wait.

#12 ·
You mentioned you may wait until Friday. I have a theory that could probably be backed by empirical evidence that people are in a measurably better mood on Fridays and are more predisposed to be in a "yes" kind of mood when it comes to making decisions on estimates. The biggest factor here is your high level of service and expertise, not their mood, but I have more than once waited until Friday to call a client for a decision I needed and wondered whether anticipating the impending weekend may have been that one little factor that took them from "let me think about it" to "let's do it".

#13 ·
I always ask why they are not going with the guy from last year, that will tell me if he did a piss poor job, and if some of the complaints by them lets me know if they are a picky type people to do work for. I also ask if I did not win the bidding, what was the price they did go with for this season, either I will match it if I need the work, or I will keep it on record to next year, when I bid it again, and see if I still can make money at that price. As we know here many guys are just out there doing it for beer money, and I already have tons of both. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.