Quick FF question

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by waltzie, Jan 6, 2017.

1. waltzie

waltzie Member

Getting ready for my first application with a recently purchased pro kit. Would it be advised to warm the fluid film up to household temps before applying?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What do the instructions say for prep and applying ?

3. OP
    OP
    waltzie

waltzie Member

There were no instructions regarding temperature on the 5 gallon bucket or in the box that contained the gun and spray hoses.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

5. OP
    OP
    waltzie

waltzie Member

Thanks buff.

I was looking to possibly spray tomorrow, but oh well.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You may find what you're looking for in Video's

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer Banned
    from N,E. MN

^that must be a mess to work on...
    all that grime and waxy mess...

the sweet, stinky smell.

8. ktfbgb

ktfbgb PlowSite Veteran

Man that stuff looks horrible. I'm very thankful that we don't have to deal with that stuff out here. Yes they do salt state highways and interstates but that about it. So do we get rust? Yes but if you trade in your truck every 7 years then there is no worry. My last truck was 7 years old, had over 100,000 miles on it. The only rust anywhere were on the nuts on wheel well side of my gooseneck hitch.

9. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite Veteran

That is not what FF looks like if sprayed properly .

10. OP
    OP
    waltzie

waltzie Member

I warmed the 5 gallon bucket up by the woodstove, and sprayed it with the pro-gun. It did not look like that at all.

It stinks, but then again so does rust.

SHAWZER likes this.
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've never used the stuff, I was just suggestion watching video's as an option since it was the weekend and FF was available to talk with.

12. OP
    OP
    waltzie

waltzie Member

The videos I did watch never addressed my original question, hence me asking it.

Seemed like common sense to warm it to room temp before spraying. It sprayed just fine, but was a pain in the arse filling the sprayer cup.

13. Michael Litorus

Michael Litorus Junior Member

Since the large manufacturing firm who now own FluidFilm choose to provide damn little help or information, let me try to help.
    FF is a mix of an animal product, Lanolin and 2 mineral petroleum products.
    Without hours of chemistry lessons, that translates to FF don't like staying mixed together.

For use spraying onto trucks and plows, you will be best served by two things. First, heat the FF to around 100°f to melt the Lanolin component, then MIX. If you can't heat the FF, MIX hell out of it for a few minutes using a paint mixer in an electric drill that can and does touch the bottom of the bucket.

Stored FF will settle the Lanolin component to the bottom of the bucket and considerably reduce the protection of the applied product.

If you don't believe, leave a bucket sit a few months and pour the liquid off without mixing and see how much Lanolin is in the bucket.