1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Quick couplers compatibility??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by lehmand1, Feb 23, 2014.

  1. lehmand1

    lehmand1 Member
    Messages: 66

    Looking for some info on couplers. I have read up on smith brothers website, but still looking for some more info.

    I had switched from ball to pin style couplers. These pin style are the same as a parker 60 series which is nice cause I use alot of them for other things.

    Well, long story short, I had to get a new E60. And this has the new style PA block with the ORB fittings and a different style of coupler. The male looks like a pin style, but the female is slightly different down in there, and they are interchangeable with the parker 60 series I have unlimited access to.

    Now smiths website references pin style couplers as being the best and not even selling the ball type, but no real mention of these "newer" style meyers. Which are PN's 22291c, 22292c, 22293c, and 22294c. As can be seen here http://www.meyerplows.info/meyer-plow-couplers.html

    Are these couplers supposed to be better than a parker 60 series pin type? They seem to be pretty pricy, but had an old set of hoses that had this type that I could get back in the game. Given that the new pump PA block takes ORB fittings, the only way I can go back to parker 60 series is to either get adapters, or get the 60 series with the ORB fittings.

    But more important than that, I am wanting to have compatibility with my other blade, and with others that plow with us. Most everyone else runs te 60 series. Which leaves me odd man out if I have issues and need to swap pumps, or blades with a spare.

    So I have two options I want to run by everyone. (sorry for being so long).

    Option 1: Get a set of these weird style meyer couplers, part number 15846c for the pair with pipe thread, and get a couple of 1/4" nipples and mate them to a set of parker 60's. That way, I have adapters if needed to swap something (but would be running through two sets of couplers on each hose instead of one).

    Option 2: Get some -8 ORB fittings to adapt the PA block to 1/4" npt and just run parker 60's on everything. Which sounds the easiest, but if these weird (for lack of a better word) couplers are better, then I will leave them and make some adapters so if I ever need to swap something in a pinch.

    Also, one final question, those "weird" meyer couplers, do they cross to a standard parker series? since I deal with them alot, but have never seen/used these?? They look a lot like the 6600 series parkers?? can anyone confirm? Cause I hate paying $40+ for a set of meyer couplers when the 60 series I can get WAY less and use all the time.
  2. jasonv

    jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada
    Messages: 1,122

    Those new and obsolete meyer quick couplers actually look like they would fit into each other. A few years ago, I picked up a bunch of "pin type" couplers, only thing I know about them is they are engraved "made in italy", at a generic hydraulics store. Turned out that, at least these ones, are compatible with the meyer obsolete ball-type couplers.

    I can't offer you any specific advice on the couplers you're looking at, but you could find things working out better than you imagine, as far as compatibility goes.

    Now Meyer... definitely doesn't make any couplers. They buy them from someone else and throw on a huge markup. Many of the so-called "aftermarket" couplers are just as genuine as the "oem" ones.

    If I were you, I'd rig up the pumps with whatever couplers make you feel the best, hope for compatibility, and maybe rig up some adapters if you find that they are necessary.
  3. lehmand1

    lehmand1 Member
    Messages: 66

    Thanks for the reply.

    I would really like to know what the couplers are that are on my pump now. Not the ball or pin style, but the ones I listed part #'s and linked pics of in my last post.

    Whatever they are, arent compatible with parker 60 series pin couplers or the ball couplers. And the cheap ball couplers I go a few years ago at discountsnowplowparts.com or angelos (cant remember), DONT interchange with the pin type parker 60.

    So the parker 60 pin type that I have been running, dont work with balls. And dont work with the "wierd" style reference above.

    Really just want to find out about the "wierd" style and if they are better (and why) than a parker 60. Cause if they are, I will leave them and make adapters. If they arent any better or are junk, I'll get the proper ORB fittings to put the parker 60's on the new PA block.