Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every so often when I'm hooking up the plow only 1 hitch pin grabs and I don't notice it right away. Well it happened this morning and I didn't notice until I took a few swipes and It was kinda leaning. I was wondering do I hurt anythin real bad when I do that or not really?

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Uh, you should ensure that both pins are in when hooking up the plow.

Best case, it leans. Worse case, you badly bend or mangle part of the coupler portion of the tower. Worst case, the 1 pin holding it breaks, the plow falls off, and you run it over. Use your imagination how that turns out.

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Uh, you should ensure that both pins are in when hooking up the plow.

Best case, it leans. Worse case, you badly bend or mangle part of the coupler portion of the tower. Worst case, the 1 pin holding it breaks, the plow falls off, and you run it over. Use your imagination how that turns out.
Lets see,plow comes off,as it is being run over the bumper gets mangled as it crushes the moldboard, the wiring gets torn out,the front tires get blown out as the a frame tears through the radiator and into the front of engine,destroying the alternator,water pump and power steering unit.The battery explodes as the fan blade flies off,battery acid spraying all over.It then pierces the oil pan and then shears off the transmission lines and then rips part of the exhaust system off. As the truck comes back down the driveshaft gets bent and both rear tires and rims are annihilated .The steam from radiator blinds you as you struggle to control the truck with no power steering or brakes. Then you wake up:sleeping: in a sweat determined to pre check the mounting of the plow each time you hook up!Thumbs Up

· Registered
4,224 Posts
Hey every so often when I'm hooking up the plow only 1 hitch pin grabs and I don't notice it right away. Well it happened this morning and I didn't notice until I took a few swipes and It was kinda leaning. I was wondering do I hurt anythin real bad when I do that or not really?
This happened to my wife. One pin on her snowdogg came undone and it was hanging on one pin. Bent up enough to require an hour of tweaking, learned lesson.Sometimes you get away easy,other times its a disaster . My dopey issue was failing to remember to pull the fisher stand up after hookup:hammerhead:

· Premium Member
17,038 Posts
Lets see,plow comes off,as it is being run over the bumper gets mangled as it crushes the moldboard, the wiring gets torn out,the front tires get blown out as the a frame tears through the radiator and into the front of engine,destroying the alternator,water pump and power steering unit.The battery explodes as the fan blade flies off,battery acid spraying all over.It then pierces the oil pan and then shears off the transmission lines and then rips part of the exhaust system off. As the truck comes back down the driveshaft gets bent and both rear tires and rims are annihilated .The steam from radiator blinds you as you struggle to control the truck with no power steering or brakes. Then you wake up:sleeping: in a sweat determined to pre check the mounting of the plow each time you hook up!Thumbs Up
I'm surprised the flying fan blade didn't result in decapitation

· Banned
13,098 Posts
Probably should pay better attention when your hooking up. Never take off without checking both pins are in correctly. Never happened to me on the new plows. The old manual pins on the Meyers would drop out now and then.

Did it hurt anything probably not this time if the pin went in with ease and no noticeable damage. Anyway you look at it it's not good and should be prevented. Leave the smoke a lone while plowing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

· Registered
7,360 Posts
My plow won't go up.....just clicks...sny idea where to look?
Probably just a relay?;):p:dancing:

This is the new down pressure feature for scraping.
My old Meyer lot pro had just 2 hitch pins, that were prone to falling out ( always at the worst possible time, like there is a good time). I put snap lock clips on them, I put cotter pins in, I put another small pin in with a cotter pin in that, eventually added safty wire to it too. They always fell out.
Finally just bolted it on, double nutted it with crown nuts and drilled holes in the bolt for cotter pins. That worked.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Had my pin fall out or break off last weekend. The plow was swinging back and forth, and my DA thought I a valve or controller going out. I thought the plow was just moving on it's own.

I half-assed finished back dragging what I needed, and was heading home to swap parts and get things figured out. It was swinging so bad i got out to unhook the hoses and noticed it was hanging on by one pin:hammerhead:

I still haven't taken the plow off to look at the damage, but based on how much I struggled getting that pin in, something is bent

· Registered
7,360 Posts
I thought it was one of those Hinikers that folds over
I see the similarity
a C plow, our city has one, I think the water Dept. Uses it for plowing the access roads to the lift stations, so they can back drag away from the doors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.