1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Question to the guys who have the wings.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. danno

    danno Senior Member
    Messages: 401

    I really want to either buy the pro wings or make them myself, but I was thinking if when pushing either starting up a steep drive, incline, or going down one would put more contact (scraping) on the front edge of the wings. I would think that people with the "Turkey" type would experience it more, being that the angle is more in front. Any body know what I mean ?
  2. Brian Young

    Brian Young PlowSite Veteran
    Messages: 3,394

    ummmmmmmmmm NO. I have a set of pro-wings, I guess they do their job. They don't hold up to curbs to well. And if you get them take off the rubber bottoms and get some of the poly type material to replace the rubber ones.
  3. kingriver

    kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska
    Messages: 216

    Poly Type????

    Was just wondering where you purchased ( poly type ) instead of that rubber piece on the bottom of the Pro Wings, those darn replacement rubbers are $80.00 and if you get to close to a curb,,, rip,,, off it goes.... would like to try the poly type you are referring to,,, :cool:
  4. paponte

    paponte Senior Member
    Messages: 717

    The wings work pretty decent. As stated they don't hold up well to curbs, and highly recommend enforcing them before putting them into service. We reinforce them with box tubing to give them strength. Also as stated, do yourself a favor and get some U edges for them. :cool:
  5. Runner

    Runner Senior Member
    Messages: 957

    The replacement flaps for them are $40 for a set through JThomas. I have another idea, though. I still haven't done it, but I'm going to buy a horsestall mat made out of the hard vulcanized poly filled rubber. It is the same type material. You can make a whole lot of sets out of one mat.
  6. ProSeasons

    ProSeasons Senior Member
    Messages: 624

    The leading edge of the wing is angled. Like Paponte said, the U-Edge is the way to go.

    The Turkey Wing would 'float' in it's channels in such an event.
  7. gardenkeeper88

    gardenkeeper88 Senior Member
    Messages: 115

    U edges? what are they and where do u get them? Also i was wondering about a steel plate covering the back of 90% for reinforcing them. anybody have ideas on this? Or if you have a proven way PM me. I need to do something. Where do you get the poly? Then next ? is .... Poly replacement or reinforcment?:help: Thanks to ya all.
  8. paponte

    paponte Senior Member
    Messages: 717

    There are alot of companies that sell poly edges for plows. J-thomas, falline, Dino's, etc. A friend of mine had a cut piece left from a plow he did, so thats what I used for the wings. Slot stronger and mor rigid than the rubber. rubber tends to just fold back under stress. I will try and take some pics of the reinforcing that we did on a set. :cool:
  9. JMR

    JMR Senior Member
    Messages: 567