Question on residental snow removal

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Shotz, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Shotz

Shotz Junior Member
    from Iowa

So how do you guys/gals go about if you blow a driveway and your done and moved on and later on the plow comes by and plows the bottom of driveway in. how do you tackle that? Do you charge to go back and if so full charge/ no charge?

2. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite Veteran
    from 406

How does the company you work for now handel it.?

3. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth PlowSite.com Addict

On seasonals coming back is included. On per service we charge.

Shotz and Hydromaster like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Shotz

Shotz Junior Member
    from Iowa

They charge hourly so if they go back they get charged.

E-Town likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Shotz

Shotz Junior Member
    from Iowa

Not doing seasonals this year and I was on the same page as if i got to go back I would charge again. Cant sit around waiting on plows to hit the streets.

E-Town likes this.
  6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

You need to chat with the customer, explain the way it works and your viewpoint.
    I clear drives once per storm with a check through the following day.
    Some of mine on main st have county doing roads multiple passes, town doing sidewalk multiple passes, between the 3 of us ill be damned if im going to be the gopher.

Cali.5Ton, BUFF and Shotz like this.
  7. NYH1

NYH1 2000 Club Member

I go back and clear the bottom of the driveways up after the city/town/county plows go through. It's included in the agreement.

NYH1.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I include going back to takr care of town street plows in my price.

9. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

Now I know why when plowing roads, the homeowners always give me a number one hand signal.

10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

If you are charging by the storm, the customer has to understand that if you have to return, there will be a charge. Remember you are not doing this for a hobbie.

E-Town, 1620cwj, Shotz and 1 other person like this.
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When I was plowing HOA roads if a driveway was cleared I’d put the plow in scope to reduce the amount of snow that spilled into the driveway. Figured since were paying for me to plow their road I’d be nice.

lj martin and theplowmeister like this.
  12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

????!
    images.png

BUFF likes this.
  13. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

It is not included in our seasonal contracts. If it’s really bad, I’ll go back and clear out the end so they can get in/out of their driveway. But the smaller snowfalls we don’t go back for, we’ll get it the next time around.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Low wind / drifts areas you can get away with that. We can get 4-6" then have the wind kick up later in the day or next day or so and have to deal with drifting in areas prone to drifting resulting in 16-20"drifts . You need to be paid a minimum cost per hour for that service.

E-Town and HadiCoop like this.
  15. HadiCoop

HadiCoop Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have one account on the edge of town that gets some good drifting but it never hinders the end of the driveway.

16. TwiceStroked

TwiceStroked Member

Thats only the ones that have to pick up their trash from their front lawns after You launched their cans....
    Been there, done that and then Laugh like the mailman from Funny Farm.
    The only fun I had from snow & ice.

lj martin likes this.
  17. E-Town

E-Town Member

IF i have to go back I charge. I have a Term of service Page on my website
    and when Approving an estimate and before paying their invoice they see it again clearly.

18. Aprobleptos

Aprobleptos Junior Member
    from Ontario

It's already on the contract that once I'm done my list I will recheck the properties for left over snow from the town plow. I make sure to tell my clients this and they all agreed that it's a great idea and that's worth my bit higher than average pricing. Doesn't take a long time at all and it make us look better while making a bit more money too. Makes sense to me.

HadiCoop and jonniesmooth like this.
  19. Indycorp

Indycorp Member

You guys are way off base. $100 for the driveway, A case of Sam Adams or Yards Brawler to re-open said driveway. Cmon now...

wifitz likes this.
  20. Cali.5Ton

Cali.5Ton Member

I offer to do a charge By the push for driveways not on my route for the front of driveways after municipal plows, minimum 2 push $10 a push - the next day, for irregulars, usually a backdrag to get any overnight precipitation then push the front berm all out of the way....

For regulars if I’m in area I do for free onnthe way back from finishing for the day . And if I’m out again the next day for earlier ones I’ll tag them too,

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020