1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Question on changing my business name.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by CK82, Mar 10, 2009.

  1. CK82

    CK82 Senior Member
    Messages: 189

    My current company name is CK Lawn & Landscape. I am debating whether or not to change it before my company is too well known. Basically I am looking for something shorter in length, even such as CK Lawns. Does anyone know the steps I would need to go through in order to do so? Thanks for your help

  2. grandview

    grandview PlowSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,609

    How are you registered now?
  3. augerandblade

    augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,054

    Different country but I dont think ya havta worry about shortening your business name. I am the extreme example of a business name change, My registered business name is different from what it says on the doors of my trucks/equipment and what I advertise in the media. Never had no problems yet, (until perhaps someone wants to use my decaled business name, register it and operate in my area.)
  4. jomama45

    jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,190

    Probably the most important step to changing your name would be to put an LLC, INC, etc... at the end of it. Talk to an attorney or account who can do it, & have them do an availibity search on the gov. website to see if the new name is available. It is an easy procedure for the most part early on in your business. It definatly gets more complicated the bigger your business gets to switch over. If you go this route, you need to switch EVERYTHING that has your name on it. IE: business cards, invoices, proposals, estimates, business checks, vehicle titles, etc... I finally went through this about 2 years ago. I wish I did it when I started in business. Good luck with it. :waving:
  5. dellwas

    dellwas Senior Member
    Messages: 369

    May be different in Ontario, but here in Nova Scotia you have to file paperwork whenever you change the name of a company if registered with the Province. Also, if you are registered federally (GST number) then I'm pretty sure you have to use the name of the company on all media, including receipts, letterheads, etc.

    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  6. QuadPlower

    QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,056

    I'm pretty sure no one in your county could register the name CK Lawns. You can answer the phone CK Lawns. Dropping the Landscape is not that big of a deal. To do it legaly, just go down with proof that you are CK Lawn and Landscape and register CK Lawn. If you have an EIN you might want to send them a letter also.
  7. linycctitan

    linycctitan Senior Member
    Messages: 588

    GV is correct. How you go about it greatly depends on how you are currently registered. Around here, if you are a dba or sole proprietor then just refile with the county and you're good to go. If you are recognized as a corporation, llc or other federally recognized business entity, you then would have to file an amendment with the Dept. of State. I did a corporate name change several months ago, so this is how I know whats what for my area. Your area may be different though. Best of luck.
  8. CK82

    CK82 Senior Member
    Messages: 189

    I am currently registered with the state and fed's as an LLC. I have filed my articles of organization and have been a legal business. I would imagine to do things properly I will have to submit documents to each again. I am sure there is more to this, but it sounds like you guys know what your talking about. I will talk to my accountant first since he would know any issues when doing so that would pertain to taxes.

  9. Ipushsnow

    Ipushsnow Senior Member
    Messages: 314

    Change it to "Hoe & Snow Landscaping and Snow Removal"
  10. linycctitan

    linycctitan Senior Member
    Messages: 588

    Could be different for your state, but all I needed to do to change the name on my S-Corp was file a "corporate amendment" with the Dept. of State, then notify the state tax dept & the IRS. I had no tax issues and you can usually keep the same EIN (Tax ID #). Best wishes.