Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Western Uni-mount on a Jeep we put together for smaller places. When at idle the plow will kill the Jeep. I had the batt load tested a month ago and all was fine. Everything works fine with full truck load but not with the plow.Was wondering how many amps should the pump pull and is there a way to check with just a multi meter? I have upgraded all the cables to 2 ga and just pick up a new 160amp alt which I will install this weekend. But not sure if the pump motor may be shot drawing to many amps. Thanks

· Registered
769 Posts
According to the mechanics guide found at the western website, it should be between 180 and 210 depending on the model of unimount you have.
Edit: You will need a "DC clamp on ammeter" to test this.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

· Registered
15,571 Posts
I believe my alternator on my jeep puts out 130 amps. On occasion, when I spend too much time in a tight lot it will come close to drawing too much.
Have to get et the rpms up to charge.
You might need a battery with more reserve amps, but it will need more charge time between sites.
Plowing in low range shoud help.

· Registered
77 Posts
I know you said you just picked up an alternator, but if you're still having issues after you install it and turn the idle up (if you can), I HIGHLY suggest getting in touch with Jonathan from CES alternators. He can build you a badass alternator, and it comes with lifetime warranty for labor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.