Pros and cons of snowplowing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jasburrito, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

I started a landscaping company this spring. Four or so customers have asked me about plowing also. I have told them all no. But am having regrets. The up side is i could make a few bucks and grow plow business. The downside is the amount of responsibility of doing the job and related activities. Snow, ice, salt, cold , holidays and possible break down. The positives vs negatives is just not working for me. I just wanted to know if theres any great advice to push me over to the dark side of wanting to plow? I just keep thinking about being cozy in bed then dreading about getting up to plow. Also thinking my mind would be consumed with watching and worrying about the wheather. (I felt really bad telling one customer no last night) Any advive would be great. Thanks.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

You just bought a snowplow no?
    How do you pay / recoup costs on plow?

Need any more advice or is that suffice?

Mark Oomkes, dieselss and BUFF like this.
  3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

* Insurance cost would increase due to increased exposure to liability
    * People would rather have one contractor to cover all four seasons.
    * If you comfortably make it through winter financially why plow?

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Philbilly2 and BossPlow2010 like this.
  5. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't see the issue. They are showing you that you'll be eating the same stuff that the steer do. Perfectly sensible.

Mr.Markus and BossPlow2010 like this.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Maybe to a hipster or Chowdeer Head....

7. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

It's "chowda" you heathen

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

let's not ruin another thread...if the OP is serious then let's keep the discussion going. if not, we can remove.

Hydromaster likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

I saved money from mowing lawns to purchase plow for my personal driveway. I have enough $ put away to make it through winter. I have dreams of using it the rest of my life. If i use it on around town. My truck and plow will rust at a high rate. I have been trying to stay off the salted roads since owning my truck. I wash and put in garage when ever i do go out in the salt. I feel my hard work in preserving my truck will be in vain. I was thinking about maybe buying another older truck and starting next year. But then i will be really upside down financially. Just trying to figure out how to justify plowing for others. Guess i am worried my stuff will rust faster and break not offsetting the money i can recoup. Thanks again

10. BIG

BIG Member

If you charge the right rate you will be able to replace/repair your truck or plow as needed and still make profits.

Sounds like your not the snow plow type of guy. Nothing wrong with it find other work to keep you busy or make enough doing lawns and take winter's off.

I personally don't like snow removal. I got into it kind of like you. My lawn clients asking about snow removal. I wish I never did. I want to get out but it keep sucking me back in. Just drop a few thousand on new gear myself for this season.

11. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Veteran

why would you put your business name on your plow like you said last week? Or have you changed your mind :rolleyes:

rust at a high rate? I’ve got a 10 year old plow that’s got minimal rust on it. Take care of your stuff it’ll take care of you.

HadiCoop and Mark Oomkes like this.
  12. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

I am one who loved plowing snow. The plowing part that is.

The needy customers, breakdowns, worrying about what the weather was actually going to do, no shows from employees, no shows from subs, machines that won't start, frozen salt piles, gelled fuel, store owners complaining about slick entrances... then complaining about salt being tracked into their store, blizzards, blowing snow, plowing before the grass was frozen, being guilty for damage until proven innocent, then... getting paid for all the money you have out and having to fight over it or chase it.

Other than those things it was great!

13. OP
    OP
    jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

I am getting my plowed lettered though. My wife said i am so fake with getting my logo on plow. I laughed. Its just too good of a way for me to advertise my lawn company. I will just tell everybody my plows only for my shop. My truck and plow are already about ten years old. And i kinda wanna keep um another 15/20 ish. But maybe thats unrealistic. Thanks again

14. Hydromaster

Hydromaster PlowSite.com Addict
    from 406

How will that get you more lawn jobs?
    seeing as the folks who call from seeing your # on the "plowed" want snowremoval ,not their lawns mowed.

15. EWSplow

EWSplow PlowSite Fanatic

Pro: you can make $40K in 2 months.
    Con: it will cost you $400K to accomplish that.

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Then why in the world would you do it?
    Who is thinking lawn care in the middle of winter?.....kinda like fire, ready, aim ain't it?

KAjzlpbCKyj9S.gif

HadiCoop, BUFF, BossPlow2010 and 4 others like this.
  17. Philbilly2

Sounds like farming...

Best way to end up with a million bucks from farming is to start with two million...

Drock78, BUFF, BossPlow2010 and 3 others like this.
  18. Philbilly2

If you are able to turn your mowing hobby into a business someday, you will learn that that is dumb.

HadiCoop, BUFF and Mark Oomkes like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

The general public has seen my lawn signs and trailer around town. I will take pictures of lettered plow and put them on website and advertising. People will think wow abc company has a plow too! Its like a real company. I can trust them. Lol.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Hydromaster likes this.
  20. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How is that making it a "real" company?

Philbilly2 and BUFF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.