1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Project for Next season 17-18: Budget Back Plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TJS, Apr 5, 2017.

1. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

It is obvious you have the skills to do this and most likely enjoy doing fab work. I'm sure it will work well. Good luck!

2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I've seen them made from a steel water tank. They're not far off Michael.

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

backplow2.jpg No water tank or curves here. Found another pic I had on my phone. I have the other 2" x 4" piece as well.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Subscribing...
    If you have down pressure you can actually angle the edge backwards so that it rides over obstacles. Eliminates the need for a trip, that's how the arctic plow partner is designed.

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing anyway. Thanks for the confirmation.

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Plow partner also has a float feature, down pressure is good for a good scraping but sucks if you are doing slopes and aprons.

7. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

Subscribed I agree with the float idea. All of our have down pressure. But had 3 of ours rip apart the hitches. All 3 are the receiver tubes welded to the reese hitch type by a local welder. The B&b style & short iron one not problem, but on the b&bs are snapping of part of there hooks for attachment. But reinforced them better and told guys not so much down pressure, don't need the rear tires in the air to scrape the pavement clean.. Are you planning to put a gusset plate on that seam you made? That is one the weakest areas when you catch something..

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what or who B&b is. Also I thought about the stress on one hitch receiver and have taken that into account with my design. Yes there will be multiple combinations of gussets going on in this build. Update on parts scrore. I did some mill work on my buddies Yami PWC carbs. He is giving me the monarch dyna pump. Score. This heps the budget.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ebling's don't rip apart...........:):p:popcorn:

ktfbgb likes this.
  10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen 2000 Club Member

Funny what happens when you buy a good product to begin with, isn't it?

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  11. extremepusher

extremepusher Senior Member
    from west mi

I wish we had them. But we don't.. Miss mine, but been in the salt truck the last two seasons any way. The b&b use a fork type hookup similar to a Boss plow..

12. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Senior Member

TJS, Nice quality builds!!! Among many others . Keep us posted on the back plow, be safe. Thumbs Up :drinkup:

13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

So you will have power up, power down, and float?

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am going to try.

15. Randall Ave

If you can keep power on the down valve. Pump motor off, it should float.

16. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, you and I think alike. I was laying awake thinking about this. I think that power to both valves without motor action will allow it float though. Not just the one valve. Having a second button with an indicator light is no biggie next to the up/down toggle switch.

17. Randall Ave

You will need a diode in that circuit I believe.

18. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am not sure yet. I am not even close to wire. However this will be a seperate float swtich. I would think maybe no diode, but it cannot hurt.

19. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

backplow3.jpg Ok. Update. Score. Got the Monarch pump for some barter time. I had to fix/fabricate/modify two velkies for a scaag and a bobcat mower. Took me about 2 hours and some scrap material. In turn my buddy gave me this pump I was going to buy from him. I took the pump all apart and flushed it, cleaned the screen and removed the valves and checked and cleaned them. Cleaned the tank out. This thing does not look that old to be honest. I have a swich and some wiring I am going to wire it up. I also have hoses for this with JIC 6 on each end. So some fittings are going to be needed. Surplus center is good for that. So far I have 225.00 into the whole project. More to come.

iceyman and ktfbgb like this.