Snow Plowing Forum banner

Project F-Superduty...

326K views 1K replies 97 participants last post by  weareweird69 
#1 ·
UPDATE: 2-26-2022. Photos from page 1 to page 52 have become broken due to server changes in my photo host. Starting on page 54, I have quoted all of my older posts with photos from page 1, to page 52, and then included the photos that are missing from each post into each quoted post. So you'll be able to see the photos in the original context in how I posted them over the years. You can still browse through the post and see all the commentary, and issues I have encountered, but you can reference the posts and photos starting on page 54. After you reach the end of my quotes on page 56, you'll pick back up on page 52, then 53, then page 56 again. its a little jumbled up, but I am unable to edit old posts, and asking the moderators/administrators to edit my 52 pages of posts is unrealistic, so this is the best way I found to revive the photos that are missing.

Thanks for all the positive reinforcement over the years, and following along!

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POST:

Im trying to do this from my phone. Should be interesting. Haha

I picked up a 1995 F-Superduty in January.

IMG_1225_Custom_.JPG

I decided I'm going to make it a 4x4. Which has probed harder than anticipated.

I picked up a Dana 60 front axle with the bolt on calipers. But wait. That's 8 lug....

Got that covered.

Found a guy selling these...

2013-03-14_15-08-03_665.jpg

Yup. 8 to 10 lug adapters!

So now the problem is the parking brake. Its on the transmission. Its nearly impossible to get the adapter for a 1356 or 4407 case to accept the parking brake.

So I found a New Process 205. High angle drive line makes a drive line brake for the NP205. That's going to solve that problem.

So now it'll be 4x4. Just have some loose ends to tie up.

New problem is the bed is 14 feet long! And its flat. Haha.

Sold the bed this week. I need to get it off the truck yet.

I found a 1 year old hydraulic pump for 300 bucks and a 9' long dump bed in pretty good shape for 1000.

IMG_9232_Custom_.JPG

So I've got almost all the pieces to make it a 4x4 dump.

I hate tan interiors. So I managed to find a full grey interior with the nice 40-20-40 seats.

Needless to say. Its going to be a hell of a truck!

I was going to sell my 96 F350. But I may keep it now. I would need a plow for this truck too. At least 9''6"

See less See more
#2 ·
Sweet truck and build. I always liked your threads, you pay a lot of attention to small details.

#3 ·
Thanks. I am slightly ocd about my vehicles lol

I am hoping to have it done by winter

#6 ·
cat320;1629548 said:
nice truck some one has already done a 4x4 convertion on a 550 on another site they said they would never do it again cheaper to buy already with 4wd on it. but good luck with the project.
I could see it being easier to buy a superduty F550 in 4wd then to convert a 2wd one. But if you find where to buy an obs 4x4 F550 you let me know and I'll buy it. It's tough enough to find an obs F450 that's 4x4 and those were actually produced, just in really small numbers.

#7 ·
No such thing as an OBS F550, and I am 99% sure Ford never made an F-Superduty 4x4, all were done by conversion companies.

#10 ·
As of right now. The money invested wouldn't buy me a 4x4 F-Superduty. They are 10-13000 when they show up for sale.

Another thing is. Whatever I'd buy. Isn't up to my standards lol. So I'd have to screw with it anyway. Just for the record. I picked up this truck for 1000 bucks. New tires and a new transmission. Couldn't pass that up.

As for the frame. Yeah. I'm going to shorten the wheel base. Its super long. I can take 6-10" off the rear if need be as well.

They were All conversions by companies like marmon Herrington, Quigley, and Tulsa Truck. So finding parts is a pain. But I managed. This was the heaviest truck Ford made before getting into big CDL trucks. 15,000 gvwr.

#974 ·
As of right now. The money invested wouldn't buy me a 4x4 F-Superduty. They are 10-13000 when they show up for sale.

Another thing is. Whatever I'd buy. Isn't up to my standards lol. So I'd have to screw with it anyway. Just for the record. I picked up this truck for 1000 bucks. New tires and a new transmission. Couldn't pass that up.

As for the frame. Yeah. I'm going to shorten the wheel base. Its super long. I can take 6-10" off the rear if need be as well.

They were All conversions by companies like marmon Herrington, Quigley, and Tulsa Truck. So finding parts is a pain. But I managed. This was the heaviest truck Ford made before getting into big CDL trucks. 15,000 gvwr.
I know this is an old post but I recently acquired a 92 F-SUPERDUTY 4x4. 460 gas, 4sp. Auto, but with a married New Process 205 and Dana 70 drivers side drop front axle. Any interest in this beast? It doesn't really make for a good run around vehicle, and selling it on craigslist-no one really knows what these are, nor do they appreciate its unique value.

#11 ·
I enjoy projects like this. So its a hobby I suppose. But yeah. I couldn't find a 4x4 F-superduty with a dump and a PSD and auto anywhere. One showed up after I hot this for 14,500. It sold in 2 days. 4x4 F350 dumps sell for the same money. So I'll build one that's perfect for the cost of a junk dump if I were to buy one for tyr money invested :). Haha

#12 ·
Drew2010;1629579 said:
No such thing as an OBS F550, and I am 99% sure Ford never made an F-Superduty 4x4, all were done by conversion companies.
That's what I was getting at in my post when the suggestion was made that he should have just bought a 4wd one to start with.

I'm curious to see how it turns out, if it's half as good as your 95 it'll still be awesome.

O yeah, for $1k :guns:

#13 ·
Haha. This is a money depending project. So if the money slows down. So will this project haha

#15 ·
Took the stacks off in favor of a 5" exhaust and its getting 3:73 gears next week and all new bearings in the rear axle. Picked up a levelling kit. But idk when that will make it on.

Reactions: NoFearDeere
#16 ·

There is a crappy cell phone photo. Haha. 84 hours a week doesn't leave much time for anything.

#18 ·
On the Silver truck? Just the drivers side. Had a run in with 3 deer on the passenger side 3 different times!

The F-Superduty is all original as far as I can tell. Well. For now. Haha.

#20 ·
Mark13;1629632 said:
I'm curious to see how it turns out, if it's half as good as your 95 it'll still be awesome.

O yeah, for $1k :guns:
I'm hoping it turns out good. Right now its just a pile of parts lol

Yeah. Couldn't go wrong for a grand. It didn't run or stop. Needed an oil change. New fuel lines. A brake line and some cleaning of some sensors. I had to change the rear calipers since the bleeders snapped off. I'm glad I bought a snap on mg725 impact to get the lug nuts off. Then I swung my life away with a 20lb sledge trying to get the inner duals off. Wow were they on there.

I picked up a set of 2 year old batteries out of a wrecked powerstroke for 150 bucks. Diehard p-2 batteries even.

Truck does NOT like cold weather. But I blame the oil. When I changed it. It was like someone poured straight 90 weight in when it was 40* out. It wasn't but it was really really bad. Apparently the guy changed the injectors and never changed the oil. So the fuel and oil mixture coagulated and turned into goop. I'm still working on getting that all out. I picked up 10 gallons of Castro 15-40 for 100 bucks to aide in that. Just going to have to change the oil a bunch of timea and keep adding seafoam to clean out the oil passages and the high pressure oil system. If its 45* out. It'll fire right up. But spins really fast. Which means it isn't getting full oil pressure. When I get the oil cleaned up and it still does it. I'll need to check HPO pressure and make sure the HPOP is making the pressure needed to fire.

I've spent too much time researching these trucks. Lol

The previous owner had it 2-3 years and could never get it running. Said he lost motivation. I had it a week and had everything fixed. I forgot it had a bad valve cover harness. Which I had spares so that was simple. That explained the miss. The nasty oil explained the running issue. It wouldn't stop and that was a brake line broke. It wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. Had the transmission out and gone thru. It was brand new. So new seals and a shift kit went in it and some small updates. Still screwed up shifting. Finally got a code from it. Bad VSS in the rear end. 36 bucks. Shifts fine now lol

Got all the lights in the bed for free from a friend and fixed the tail lights and the unplugged cab light which was a pain in the butt to fish out of the cab!

Now I need to get the flatbed off the truck. Without my tractor since the dump bed is occupying the trailer.... I don't want to take it off until the flatbed is off and gone due to lack of cribbing. Haha

So we will see what happens here.

The plans for the exterior are a new fender and door on the passenger side. They are peeled open. Chevy towing mirrors because these mirrors SUCK to use. They will be power and heated. Aiding in seeing around the 8' wide dump bed. Smoked headlights and cab lights. Then a full royal metallic blue paint job like my 96. Painting the wheels Ford Grey more than likely. Also a chrome grille and headlight buckets. Going to put power windows and locks in it as well as a tilt column and a 05-07 Super Duty steering wheel with radio controls and cruise. Oh. This will probably get Climate Control like my 95 as well. Since I'm insane haha

#22 ·
Junk. Just like the rest of the diesel out there.

#24 · (Edited)
Updates? these things are like a tease to us guys... Do you have a thread about this on any other forums? The reason I ask is now that the snow is pretty well done for the year, this forum really slows down.

#25 ·
No other forums really. It will be. But not right now.

Today's accomplishment....

Turns out. I can't go any shorter than 9' for a bed. Wouldn't work for the front tank.

You can see the white 9' mark on the right. And the shiny spot on the left.

I work 84 hours a week. So project time is minimal lol.

Going to have my buddy who's a certified welder do the frame chop.

#26 ·
weareweird69;1629900 said:
No other forums really. It will be. But not right now.

Today's accomplishment....

Turns out. I can't go any shorter than 9' for a bed. Wouldn't work for the front tank.

You can see the white 9' mark on the right. And the shiny spot on the left.

I work 84 hours a week. So project time is minimal lol.

Going to have my buddy who's a certified welder do the frame chop.
Frame chops are a good time. Looks like in the very first pic the rear leaf spring front perch holes are still there. Cut it so you can reuse those to get it back to stock length. Nice project. I usually cut the frame in a kind of sideways"Z" shape so you have more surface area and a stonger foundation for welding. Also "fish plating" is in order as well.
T.J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.