Snow Plowing Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alright guys I just got back from ASI, and talking with Dave. These back blades are built well. Dave admitted that the wiring was their fault from the previous post. But as for the damage done to the wings it was operator error. The slides on the wings are 2" square tubing rated at 2500psi, when they build these they turn the tubes so it is on corner which doubles the strength. And the Also use two slides. Do the math. These blades will take abuse not going to lie. But you just can't take a corner with the wings out and grab a curb. If you do then ya they will bend. They stand behind their work. I'm not trying to rip on ebling or any thing like that just wanted to put this out there for other guys that are looking at them. Go to the shop and talk to them about it. Personally I like the blade and the way that it is set up. We are possibly going to buy one for next season.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The problem with the slide design is there is no way to add a safety or weak spot so that should something occur it doesn't fold the wings back like that. With this slide design the only way to do it right IMO is to over build the hell out of the wings otherwise they will continue to have the same problem.

Something like the ebling has a failure point that doesn't cause major if any damage to the product because of the shear pin.

When making a product, design is one thing but functionality is another. Things get abused and break, theres no way around it and when this asi blade breaks your screwed having to replace wings and attachment points to the truck. Manufactures have tolerances built in to accept a moderate amount of abuse unlike this asi plow. The ebling has thought through this and put in safety points to not only protect the blade but also the truck. All the plow manufactures do that, they have too. Its a part of making a product. And those tubes are in no way strong enough to be used as a standalone support. It might be 2500psi of tensile strength at the weld but the problem is the hollow tubing. They need to figure out a way to keep their mold tight against the center section. Those tubes should only be used as a guide.

This is just my observation and opinion on this whole shebaclke though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
there are other blades on the market. Can't hate it if you haven't tried it. They fixed it free of charge. And not that it was installed improperly just adjusted improperly. This is the first year for them building the expandable version. All they are looking for is for people to give them input on the equipment. Not bash them as a company.

·
Registered
123 Posts
tjslawnservice;947220 said:
there are other blades on the market. Can't hate it if you haven't tried it. They fixed it free of charge. And not that it was installed improperly just adjusted improperly. This is the first year for them building the expandable version. All they are looking for is for people to give them input on the equipment. Not bash them as a company.
where have "they" gone? "they" have dissapeared!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
To answer the bend issue, the bent wing is operator error period (go to our website www.asinnovations.com under video, we did a video of the blade and during filming we did snag a curb twice in fact). If a contractor hits something and it's not excessive, then like any other blade there will be no problem. If you are going to fast or not paying attention, the wings are made to bend at the guide rails and not the blade itself. Remember there must be at least 5000lbs of force on an 18" span to bend the rails that on the flat, our wing mounts are actually mounted on the corner which make them much stronger. The bend feature is to insure no major damage is done to the main blade or the truck. Bent rails are easy and inexpensive to repair. If you do bend a wing, it doesn't stop you from plowing. The way it's designed, you pull the wing pin, retract the cylinder and you can keep plowing to complete your route or job.
We have not had one problem with our mounting system. We are not welding to the trailer hitch to prevent weakening the factory hitch. The way the mounts are placed, it distributes the weight over three points (estimated weight distribution is 300lbs. per point), so not to destroy the main part of the hitch. We are for the 2010/2011 season going to offer our own system for those hitch stiles our normal mounts don't fit. That would involve removal of your existing hitch.
We hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
those were great video's, I had some questions since the website didn't provide enough details but after seeing the vids, they were mostly answered. Looks like you have a pretty good product.... don't mind Mark, he relishes grilling sponsors:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
My big problem with you product is that you are attaching it to someone elses hitch. I think if you were to replace the exisitng hitch with one of your own design I would be more willing to buy your product. I just dont want the liabiality of adding your equipment to weaken my hitch. You may not be welding to it but you are still putting a load on it that its not designed for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have one For Sale

·
Registered
118 Posts
pch1, with all you went through with asi you might as well dump that blade in the lake it sounds like it would make a nice reef to fish off of. anybody in there right mind should stay clear of that FISHER PRICE piece of crap. sorry you had to get beat by them for the sake of all of us but i thank you greatly for you info

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
if you wanch the video, they didnt just "hook the curb" they drove over it completely, meaning the entire plow took the hit , didnt appear they were driving fast either. ID like to see a 10 mph pass with the wing extended and just the very outter edge of th ewing take the full hit.

also i dont get it, but my daniels peels up almost every bit of snow, hard pack included, in one pass... why do i watch all these other videos and see snow left under them?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.