Snow Plowing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm not sure what you are referring to. But our hitch system is a three point system where by the lift of the plow is in the common part of your hitch and the pull load is on our part of the hitch. Our back blade puts no more stress on your hitch system then the common trailer. As for the wing, if it gets tweaked you just pull the cylinder pin, re-track the cylinder and slide the wing off and continue to plow unlike our competitors.

Dave\Ed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Mark,

To be more direct on your hitch question, we do not weld or drill into your hitch. As for the tweaked issue, you would have to see our back blade to understand the engineering and quality of the blade. A tweak to our back blade, would destroy most other back blades.

Dave/Ed

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I really like that blade.

I have no use for one but I like it. Only thing that I could see being in issue is the powerpack being mounted on the back. I would think it could get crushed pretty easily and also it prevents you from getting close to a garage.

Maybe im wrong but IMO that would be a blade I would highly consider if I were in the market for one.

Nice job!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Doug,

The control box sticks out approx 8 inches past the blade and to date we have not had any issues of damage. About back blade use, most guys who haven't tried a back blade then decide to try it, find out they couldn't believe how they did it without it.

Dave/Ed

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
If I plowed in my own I would look into it. But I am happy most of the time as a sub and I wouldn't get paid extra for it but I like the overall design better than swing out wings. Have you had an issue with the powerpack being smashed? Please don't see it as me bashing the product, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The control box on the back, is a two piece that is formed and very strong. As of yet we have had no problems that made a snow plow contractor unable to continue on with plowing. After you use it for awhile it becomes part of your truck and because of the lighting its really easy to judge when backing up.

Dave/Ed

·
Registered
51,643 Posts
Adv Seasonal;861419 said:
Mark,

To be more direct on your hitch question, we do not weld or drill into your hitch. As for the tweaked issue, you would have to see our back blade to understand the engineering and quality of the blade. A tweak to our back blade, would destroy most other back blades.

Dave/Ed
OK, whose hitch do you weld on?

I've never had a problem with my back blades that wasn't operator induced. And those were with break-away wings. Can't even think of how many seasons that is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We do not weld on any hitches. We have our own bolt-on bracketry. As for operator induced, we have seen our fair share of that stuff. Long hours and being in the truck is part of the job. Its not Chevy or Ford's fault if you dent your fender or tailgate. And its not our fault if you back into something with our blade. Things are going to happen on ice and snow, partially blocked vision, etc...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been looking into getting a back plow and really like you design. I have a few questions though, how does the hydralic relief work opposed to a trip edge, how much down pressure is appllied (is it adjustable), what kind of connection/wiring is required? I would be nice to see a video to watch how it operates. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
ceoutdoor

The pressure relief is built into the hydraulics, if the blade gets caught the relief senses the back pressure which allows the hydraulics to by pass on the lift side. The down pressure is adjustable and it will lift the rear tires off the ground if you needed it. Wiring is simple (hot and ground) and comes with the blade along with in-line fuse and quick disconnect. There is a battery backup built right into the blade so you don't have all the draw on your truck battery. As far as a video, we will be working on that this winter.
Any more questions just ask or call us at 616 842-0009 you can ask for me or Ed

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thank you. The design and features have changed throughout the years with direct input from the local snow plow professional, we feel now that our blade really is the best based on consumer feed back. Theirs still time left to get yours before the season begins!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mark Oomkes;861225 said:
Interesting.

What happens (God forbid) that after a winter of plowing with this plow I'm pulling my trailer and something fails on the trailer hitch and my trailer injures or kills someone?

What happens when the wing is extended and it gets tweaked and won't retract?
Thats why you do inspections on your equipment.
Same as if your ball joints gave out pulling the trailer and you crash head 1st into a schoolbus, thats a crazy question.
insurance will handle the rest in the event of an incident, make sure that all your equipment is insured.

If your wing does not retract or extend it's due to ice, damaged equipment and i'm sure there is a warranty on the mechanicals involved with that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Watkins;912658 said:
Same as if your ball joints gave out pulling the trailer and you crash head 1st into a schoolbus, thats a crazy question.
insurance will handle the rest in the event of an incident, make sure that all your equipment is insured.

If your wing does not retract or extend it's due to ice, damaged equipment and i'm sure there is a warranty on the mechanicals involved with that.
What if a manufacture, other than the original, modified your ball joint in some way and you crash because it had been modified.
Other backblade manufacture had the hitches sent out and test by a 3rd party to get a rating and have to put a sticker on their hitch before they let them leave.
On the wing damage, please refer to the other thread.

·
Registered
51,643 Posts
Watkins;912658 said:

slongfellowii;913102 said:
What if a manufacture, other than the original, modified your ball joint in some way and you crash because it had been modified.
Other backblade manufacture had the hitches sent out and test by a 3rd party to get a rating and have to put a sticker on their hitch before they let them leave.
On the wing damage, please refer to the other thread.
Ding, ding, ding

We have a winner.

·
Registered
51,643 Posts
Adv Seasonal;861286 said:
I'm not sure what you are referring to. But our hitch system is a three point system where by the lift of the plow is in the common part of your hitch and the pull load is on our part of the hitch. Our back blade puts no more stress on your hitch system then the common trailer. As for the wing, if it gets tweaked you just pull the cylinder pin, re-track the cylinder and slide the wing off and continue to plow unlike our competitors.

Dave\Ed
I reread your comment.

Let me clarify, you use the OEM hitch for the center hookup and add 2 more receiver tubes for the other 2 hitch points, right?

Do you have letters from all manufacturers of hitches and vehicles stating that they will accept liability if something bad happens after using this hitch for a back plow mount? Can you post them?

And you are saying that the down pressure is just as stressful up and down as a trailer? And side to side when someone hits a curb as the poster in the other thread did?

·
Registered
51,643 Posts
Watkins;912658 said:

So you check your trailer hitch for bends\breaks\cracks? You are able to determine if it might fail because forces were applied to it that it was not designed or tested for?

My ball joints are designed for what I am using them for. I am not mounting my plow directly to the ball joints.

Whose insurance will handle it, is the question. The hitch mfg will run far, far away because the hitch has now been modified and used for something not designed or tested for. So it will be your personal insurance company and they won't be happy about it either.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
i agree with you mark, but honestly any modification like adding a plow is going to cause problems. I have seen chevy truck frame crack in half... dainels has to weld to your hitch.

Id say its a calculated risk we all take. Altho like you said, no hitch manufacture is going to cover it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Help me out guys. I'm still looking for a back blade. Two weeks and counting as of this writing. I hear all kind of things about the ASI back blade. To this date I have looked at Ebling, Daniels, B&B, someone who fabs one in Muskegon and even a secondary blade that you mount on you front blade on the net. With the lack of snowfall in SE MI. the idea of purchasing one seems to become more difficult. I was looking to reduce time, driver fatigue and save fuel. If anyone knows of one for sale without traveling more 200 to 300 miles of Detroit, please let me know Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
You need to read the other thread about this backblade before you go look into them.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.