1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with my 2002 7.3 powerstroke

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tompands, Jun 12, 2017.

1. tompands

tompands Junior Member

I bought this truck 2 months ago as a non runner. Got a deal on it I couldn't refuse and I'm always up for a challenge, so what the hell. It's a 2002 F350 4x4 crew cab lariat edition. Pretty nice truck, it's got a few bumps and bruises, and some small issues I need to repair but overall, a truck worth fixing. I knew the engine didn't run but I wasn't real concerned because by the looks of the engine, it looks as though it was fairly well taken care of. It cranks like crazy(HAS A HIGH TORQUE STARTER-NEW), It sounds like a 6.0 when its spinning over. It almost starts-its like right there, but wont catch. All the gauges come up , but the tach does not move. It puffs black smoke from the exhaust while its cranking over, but it just wont catch. I'm still not real concerned with the engine and have been concentrating on the rest of the truck , kind of saving the engine for last, just in case it has to come out. I have a spare 7.3 just in case. But after all the research I've done and everything I've read , I think and hope, it's a minor issue. My question is , do the sensors (cps, IPR, etc) always set a code ? Because there are NO codes in this truck. I have all new sensors, a new IDM, I just haven't got to the engine as of yet-probably going to tear into it this weekend.
    As you can see , I'm in the land Of NO SNOW. I use to live up north and plowed my share of snow, when I found this web site and read some of your posts, I said I finally found a forum where the guys have some sense. Some of those diesel forums are just ridiculous to deal with-the people are just idiots.
    But anyway, if anyone has a idea as to why this thing is doing what it does-with the symptoms I've described, by all means get back to me-I'd appreciate your input.

shawn_ likes this.
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Do have a scanner capable of live data? Need to see if it is building any fuel pressure. CPS is a common fail point on the 7.3, IPR is second in line to fail. I would also check compression. But I would start with cam sensor, they are cheap and easy to replace.

shawn_, Sawboy and dieselss like this.
  3. tompands

tompands Junior Member

No, that's my problem. I have programs in my laptop for Cummins, Detroit and Cat, everything but Navistar. I had it checked at a garage (when I bought it) who did have a scanner, they said it had 2200 psi Injector Control Pressure, and IPR @ 45%. They said that shows the oiling side is working properly. They seemed to feel the engine has excessive blow by, but I checked for blow by from the oil fill and didn't seem to be too much. They also shot it with either and said it would not fire. Would a bad CPS or IPR cause it NOT to pop on either ?

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

If you are used to Cats 3126, then this should be a breeze. Basic same platform.

5. kimber750

If it did nothing with ether I would think the motor is toast. You are down to a compression test. Cam sensor tells it when to fire the injectors, ether takes that out of the mix. 7.3 isn't horrible to test compression but does require valve covers to be removed to get to glow plugs. Driver side cover is easier to pull so I would start there. You should be around 350psi if my memory is correct. Have you checked oil and coolant for possible blow head gasket? Not real common on 7.3 but something easy to check. Then again if you have another engine why not just drop it in then you can fiddle with the other one out of the truck.

6. Randall Ave

If it won't even snort on either, she may be dusted. What scanner do you have? Can you get software for the application?

7. tompands

tompands Junior Member

I don't have a scanner for a 7.3

8. Randall Ave

Usually the snap on guy will have a used one for cheap. Just traded mine in on a new one.

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

no tach needle movement when cranking is a sign of a bad CPS

10. tompands

tompands Junior Member

I'm hoping it's something like that, I have all new sensors (OEM), and a new IPR that's going in as soon as I can get to it. Still working on the body and interior. It's looking pretty good-90% of the truck is done (aside from the engine). I took all the seats out, Had the driver seat redone, pressure washed the carpet( looks new), and repaired a few thing on the dash-rest is good to go. Had a smashed drivers fender-replaced and painted it-need to buff the clear coat out-new front bumper- brakes and rotors all around. Now I just need to get it to start.

11. Randall Ave

Not trying to argue here. I have an 02. Runs fine, but my tach don't move when she's cranking. The only way to see what's going on is with a quality scanner. That way you can run s buzz test, that will tell how the valve cover harnesses are. And other tests, and see live data.

12. kimber750

CPS good or bad it would of done something on ether. Do the compression test. Your shop said it had blow by, you said it cranks fast, all this points to a worn out engine. Or start throwing parts at it.

13. tompands

tompands Junior Member

I went out yesterday and installed the CPS-no change- I installed the ICP-no change- This morning I installed the IPR-no change, or I thought. I had my battery charger on it all morning to bring them up to full charge. I was getting a little depressed. Drank a cold one and said lets put some fuel in it to get it over a 1/4 tank, just in case it has the "foot in the tank issue", the I started cranking it. Cranked it for a while and she popped for about 2 seconds. Let the starter cool down for about an hour and tried again. She cranked and cranked AND I swear I heard something electrical kick in and pow-she started. Blew black smoke all over the place. I let it run at an idle for a few minutes and goosed it good-more black smoke . after 10 minutes or so, it smoothed out and no more black smoke- turn it off and she restarted fine. I'm a happy boy. I also pulled my oil fill while it was running and blow by is minimal, thank you guys for all your input.

14. tompands

tompands Junior Member

OK. after having my moment of glory on sunday , I went out to the truck Monday , after work , and dam it, she wouldn't start again with the cranking and cranking and then she finally popped off. It started easier then the first time but she was still hard starting. Something is bleeding back or not holding pressure. Any takers ???

15. Randall Ave

You need a good scanner to read ICP while cranking. Also need to monitor fuel flow and pressure. You have worked on 3126 Cats? Same basic principles apply. Remember Cat and IH worked together to design the system.

Sawboy likes this.
  16. Randall Ave

And after it starts, is she smoking?

17. tompands

tompands Junior Member

No, its not smoking at all-it sits and idles pretty good-has a very slight miss to it-maybe a bad injector-as soon as I finish a couple little repairs , I'm going to take it down to my buddys shop and have him scan it.