Snow Plowing Forum banner

Power scoops Ripped off

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Bossplower 
#1 ·
I sent a check to Dave Sterret for 300.00$ .he said he would send the Power Scoops in 5 days .That was over a month ago .
He took his phone # off the site and put Thomas Fabricating # on there instead. I called them and they said I wasn't the only one who sent him a check and didn't get there parts. They gave me his # but he won't return my calls.He cashed my check on December the 11 th.
Any recomendations on what to do?
I've never sent money and not gotten my product.

PS. Buy Power Scoops at your own risk.

Steve

#2 ·
call the police its fraud and small claims court prob

#5 ·
Got # from Dino

I got u-edge from Dino last year and when I talked to him this yr.
he told me how good they work. I did a search on this site and found out where to get them. I called the # on the web site and got to talk to the owner ,Dave Sterret. He said send him a check and I would have them in about 5 days. He cashed the check on the 11 th. of December. He told me where to send the $$ but I lost the paper I had it on . I figured I would go back to the web site if I neede it . When I went back there he took his ## off and put the people who Fabricate them ## on there ( thamas fabrications) I called them up and they said they haven't been able to reach him and other guys have called them with the same problem as me. They are looking into it and would give me a call . I even faxed them the cancelled check.
They gave me Dave Sterret's phone #and he won't return my calls . It 's been over a week and 4 calls to him later .

Sterret's ## is 517-242-4345
I would really apriciate any help ya'll could give me.

Thanks, Steve Snider

#6 ·
I called the number and voice mail picked up. The announcement didn't say Dave Sterret. I couldn't make out who it was but it was a company I think. What city / state is this guy from. Do you remember that much? And you made the check out to this guy personally or to a company?

#7 ·
It took some digging but here is what I found out...

Does 4200 Legion Drive Mason, MI 48854-1027 sound familliar?

Bossplower,

I spoke with Dave's brother, Michael a minute ago. Dave has had serious medical problems for the past few months and has undergone a few spinal surgeries recently. Michael is somewhat handling the business until Dave can get back on his feet. The whole ordeal seems legit.

Michael asked for you to send him an Email explaining the situation. The Eamil address is sterrettproducts@aol.com He says your situation will be taken care of as quick as possible.

I lookes at the product online at www.starrettproducts.com and the scoops look like they are built well. Once you do get them, I am sure you will be happy with them. If you want Michael's telephone number, PM me and I will get it to you.

#8 ·
you can do a search with that phone # and it might show you where he lives also i'm from Michigan and that area code is from Michigan :cool:

#9 ·
I also had the same problem. Sent a check and waited over six weeks to get the power scoops. I had to keep calling and calling to get them. They look sturdy but have bent out some in only 3 snowplowing events. I'm a little disapointed in them. The price is way too high in my opinion.

#10 · (Edited)
Bison 1973 ,
Thanks for your post.
Plow Meister, I know about the whole back thing . He told me he had back surgery a few weeks prior to the 8 th. of Dec.
but that he was getting better. He said he would have them to me in about 5 days that was on the 8th. After he got the check all he had to do was call Thomas Fabrications up and give them a purchase order # so they can send them. They haven't been able to get hold of Dave or anyone for the past month.

Plow Meister, Thank's for looking into this for me . I did send Micheal a Email I'll keep you posted.
Thanks, Steve Snider

#11 ·
update Power Scoops

I talked to Dave today (thursday 29th ) He said they were on the way. Emailed Becky She said he was going to bring Money and orders to ship this week But hasn't seen him .So the scoops Haven't been shipped.

What would you do ?

A: Ask for refund?
B : Wait another week for them and hope they come?

Steve

#14 ·
I would say, if yopu know a lawyer, have him write a letter of intent. See where that gets you. If not, I would call them back and say "Look! This is rediculous. Winter is half over! I ordered these things X months ago. I understand there are certain problems BUT where are my damn scoops?! If he gives you attitude, ask for your money back and get Turkey Wings or Pro wings.

#15 ·
Buy at your own risk.

Dave Sterret said my scoops were on the way but I found out they're not .I called today to confront him and he hung up.
I found out all people ripped off didn't live in MI.
Officer Deputy Treat phone # 517-374-8031 is the officer handling this case. I'm waiting to here back from him. So far there are at least 6 people including one new one last week that we no of that have been scammed.

Steve

#16 ·
Do you still have the canceled check? Man, that really sucks:( In the grand scheme of thisng, it is not just the $300.00. It is the abuse of trust. You put your truxt in this guy to come through and he totally screwed you. When I talked to him, I honestly thought he was genuine. Go figure. I hope he gets what he deserves:guns:

#20 ·
From hearing of what you're saying now I'm really surprised I even got mine. Like I said- I had to call numerous times. This makes me wonder what will happen when I need parts for them (mainly the rubber seal that goes down to the road surface). I hope you get it figured out.

#23 ·
I'm waiting to here from Deputy Treat. He said he would call me when he catches up to Dave Sterrett. The good news is he seems to think I will get them soon. It took Treat two weeks to get another guys scoops and thought it would be the same for me. Thanks for checking in .
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.