Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any thoughts/suggestions on using alternative connectors for the positive/negative connectors for Western ultra/unimount and/or Boss RT3 plows?

I'd like to convert all of my trucks to the same style connector for the postive and negative. We have issues with both style connectors. After they get a little older, we sometimes have to wiggle them to get them to work, eventually having to replace at least one side at a time. Of course, sometimes we spread the pins open on them to make them tighter and have better contact.

I have thought about converting them all to the Anderson style connector. I have heard from numerous people that the plugs that are used on the plows are not really meant to be plugged in and unplugged a ton of times. Not sure how true this is, but it doesn't seem unbelievable. Whatever we do, I'd like to keep them all the same, for the sake of using one truck to pick up another trucks plow.

Thoughts on this? I'm sure it's been done, I'm just unsure of what the best connector is.

· Registered
295 Posts
Are you talking about the main power wires for the plow pump? Your factory conectors are prety sealed when in use or put away properly. Anderson connections are no sealed. Even if the plug isnt used just having the positive side hooked up it will turn green in one winter.

We used anderson connectors on the back of municipal plow trucks for a summer only attachment. After every winter we had to replace the ones that didnt get disconnected.

Keep it factory. Pinch the female side if you find bad connections alot.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
I use Tractor Trailer connectors for both my power and controls. They are made by Phillips. Cast alum.made by Phillips. Running this for like 9 years. I have the main power and ground hooked up to a moroso battery switch so I can switch off if I need to. I also have jumper cables that plug into the main power cable one on the top.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Hood

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Tractor Trailer connectors for both my power and controls. They are made by Phillips. Cast alum.made by Phillips. Running this for like 9 years. I have the main power and ground hooked up to a moroso battery switch so I can switch off if I need to. I also have jumper cables that plug into the main power cable one on the top.

View attachment 189462
I like those. Do you remember where you got them? I googled them, and found the ones that have multiple pins per connector, but not a single large pin.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the main power wires for the plow pump? Your factory conectors are prety sealed when in use or put away properly. Anderson connections are no sealed. Even if the plug isnt used just having the positive side hooked up it will turn green in one winter.

We used anderson connectors on the back of municipal plow trucks for a summer only attachment. After every winter we had to replace the ones that didnt get disconnected.

Keep it factory. Pinch the female side if you find bad connections alot.
I guess I didn't think about them being open to the elements. Good point, I will not go with those. Thanks!

· Registered
2,209 Posts
I like those. Do you remember where you got them? I googled them, and found the ones that have multiple pins per connector, but not a single large pin.
The top one is for positive and negative. The bottom one is for my plow control(multiple pins). I run a fenner pump so I built my own harness. I think I got mine at Napa years back. I think ebay has them as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.