Poly plow vs steel in extreme tempatures.

ChesterP

I'm looking into a plow for a 3/4 ton truck and have been researching the pros and cons of poly plows. From what I gather they work very well in normal winter conditions, however I would like to clarify some concerns I have about their durability in my particular situation.

I'm in interior Alaska where the temps routinely dip down to -40 several times a year and I've personally seen below -50 a few times. Because it is so cold here, they don’t use salt on the roads and things are pretty dry most of the year, with wet slushy snow being virtually nonexistent except at the very end of winter when the snow melts. So this could offset the biggest benefit of the poly plow being more resistant to rusting and tilt things more in favour of a steel plow.

So my question is whether a poly plow will crack or chip since, from my general experience here, plastics of pretty much all varieties tend to become very brittle in these extreme temps. I’m mostly looking for feedback from people with plowing experience is similar extreme temps regions but any advice is certainly welcome.

Thanks for the help.

Hydromaster

PlowSite Fanatic
I used a sno-way , lexan in -60°F ( without wind chill) no issues.

why are you looking for poly?
Do you have a line on a deal?
Just asking.
And don’t say because there lighter…

OP
C

ChesterP

I'm not specifically looking for a poly, I'm just weighing my options between steel (stainless or otherwise) and poly which is better for my situation. If poly would be an issue in these temps then that would determine the answer without much further thought.

No I don't have any deal set up, I'm planning to buy a new plow from a dealer so I'm not limited to just poly plows.

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
I have both, poly will be fine, colour will fade and look old in a couple years with exposure to uv.
The stainless or steel is great too but at warmer temps the wet snow sticks to it more than poly. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Both skins can be updated relatively easily

OP
C

ChesterP

Ok why is poly better sited for your situation?

It isn't necessarily better in my situation. As I said I was just weighing my options.

As a matter of fact. While it's sounding like there is nothing wrong with the poly plows from a perspective of cold. Given my scenario of mostly plowing the very dry snow we get here, I'm more leaning towards a steel plow at this point. Since it seems to me that most of the benefits of a poly plow are mitigated by the dry conditions and from my research, they seem to be somewhat more expensive.

I'm thinking of one of the Western V plows, since there are at least two Western dealers fairly close to me. I will likely be opening another thread soon with some questions on the subject once I have dug a little deeper into them.

Thanks for the info.

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
Did you ask the which one they sell more of? Or which one they recommend?
This reminds me of my trimmer dealer, i have always used echo srm 680Ts, my dealer during covid didnt have any in stock...says his stihl line outsells echo 20-1.
I hadnt tried stihl for 20 plus years, heavy, unbalaced, vibration was brutal.
So 20 years is a long time to get the quirks out, I used stihl blowers and chainsaws.
I buy a stihl trimmer, first day I almost throw it in a pond. Not one of the things I mentioned was worked on, and what the hell kind of choke setting requires you to push it in and turn it...its like opening a bottle of tylenol which I need now cause the vibration triggers my arthritis...
"Because they sell more of them" means nothing to me anymore.

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
This reminds me of my trimmer dealer, i have always used echo srm 680Ts, my dealer during covid didnt have any in stock...says his stihl line outsells echo 20-1.
So 20 years is a long time to get the quirks out, I used stihl blowers and chainsaws.
I buy a stihl trimmer, first day I almost throw it in a pond. Not one of the things I mentioned was worked on, and what the hell kind of choke setting requires you to push it in and turn it...its like opening a bottle of tylenol which I need now cause the vibration triggers my arthritis...
Was heavy and unbalanced the reason you drove a mower in a pond?...

Mark Oomkes

PlowSite Fanatic

I hate Stihl handhelds. 4max sucks, adjusting valves sucks, etc.

None of those problems with Echo.

OP
C

ChesterP

Did you ask the which one they sell more of? Or which one they recommend?

My original question was only about whether the poly plows can withstand extreme cold. From the feedback I've gotten it's sounds like they work fine in any tempature.

However at this point I've fairly well determined I'll likely get a steel or stainless plow as mentioned above and in my newer question thread here.

Mr.Markus

PlowSite Fanatic
Was heavy and unbalanced the reason you drove a mower in a pond?...
Neither. To be honest it was a broken brake cable, i slicked up a tire and didnt want to make a big mess so I was going to pull it off the wet area with the other mower, I was walking to the trailer with my back to it when I heard the sploosh....
If It had momentum with me on it, it would of probably gone to the bottom...

Top Forums