Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
17,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations on polishing aluminum?

I have a Weatherguard toolbox that has been around the block and I would really like to restore it back to a good clean shine.

I have seen kits on the line, but figure there is someone who has the winning combo for a good cut and clean.

· Registered
15,547 Posts
Anyone have recommendations on polishing aluminum?

I have a Weatherguard toolbox that has been around the block and I would really like to restore it back to a good clean shine.

I have seen kits on the line, but figure there is someone who has the winning combo for a good cut and clean.
I fine flap disk sander might work.
Otherwise, buff it out with rubbing compound.

· Registered
17,435 Posts
Best results here have come from Autosol and a Mother's ball, then wipe clean with a microfibre cloth and flour.

Yes - flour, just plain white flour doused on the microfibre cloth and it cuts all the polish off to a brilliant shine.
My wife uses baking powder in a bucket of water for windows, no streaks and clean for weeks. The dust doesn't stick a day later either. I need to try it on my sweeper, can't see a thing by the end of the day.

· Registered
14,949 Posts

· Registered
16,332 Posts
My wife uses baking powder in a bucket of water for windows, no streaks and clean for weeks. The dust doesn't stick a day later either. I need to try it on my sweeper, can't see a thing by the end of the day.
I use to use baking powder on a dry rag to remove the wax residue after waxing my car. It worked awesome and left a shine like no other. But dont tell anyone it was a secret that an old timer told me.

· Registered
17,435 Posts
How much and how much?
I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen...it's not baking powder, it's corn starch and my wife is free....

Heaping tablespoon/gallon.

You have no idea how hard it was to get this measurement, how much? "This much in a pail..." shows me my soup spoon.
What size pail? "This one."..shows me mixing bowl my salad is in.

· Registered
14,949 Posts

Jaw Gesture Sharing Screenshot Event

Reactions: Philbilly2

· Registered
16,332 Posts
I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen...it's not baking powder, it's corn starch and my wife is free....

Heaping tablespoon/gallon.

You have no idea how hard it was to get this measurement, how much? "This much in a pail..." shows me my soup spoon.
What size pail? "This one."..shows me mixing bowl my salad is in.
Now that you mention corn starch I think removing the wax was with corn starch.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
Phil, I know I'm late to the party here, but I bought an old tool box at auction that was at least 10 years old. Bought some aluminum polish stuff at lowes or home depot (don't remember where, but it was in a blue bottle:confused:). Paired that with an electric buffer from my favorite store ;) and away I went. It worked pretty well, and much better than I imagined. For a very small investment it might be worth a shot to see if it works for you as well.

Edit: looks like the bottle changed, but I bet it was this stuff. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Better-Built-Polish/3035639 I'm sure I picked it up in the isle with the tool boxes, al I'm assuming it was Better .Built brand. I know it wasn't Kobalt.

I did read a comment that some manufacturers put a clear coat that prevents it from being buffed, but I didn't have an issue with my Rawson Koeing box. Not sure about WeatherGuard

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.