Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there have a plow on their 2013 dodge ram 1500 Big Horn?

Someone posted this
The 1/2 tons with Auto mode have the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case which is engaged by clutch packs. There are some threads out there with hundreds of pages worth to read through on how this operates. Basically in Auto mode the truck is 2WD until a slippage is detected as said above. Once the slippage has been corrected, back to 2WD you go.

Be advised, 4WD "Lock" mode does not actually keep you in 4WD. Again, the truck will only engage 4WD when it detects loss of traction. There is a mix of reports out there saying the truck will disengage 4WD until you come to a complete stop, or some say it will disengage when you release the gas pedal. But there is no true constant 4WD available on the 44-44 case.

I was wondering how it is plowing, I'm going to add my 7.5 fisher blade to truck but now I find out about the electronic 4x4.
Its not a true locking 4x4 system.
If in 4x4 auto means if your rear wheels start to spin front will kick in.
If in 4x4 lock it means about the same think its not in a true/positive lock like my 2004 ram 4x4, seems they use a clutch pack for this and it keeps pressure on the pack until the rear wheels spin at least a half turn then fronts kick in.
I guess Dodge put one over on all the 2013 and trucks who have this transfer case 44-44 by labeling the dash switch with 4x4 lock.

So with the snow we get here in Boston area anyone have a plow on their 2013 and how does it perform in say a foot of snow?

thanks

· Registered
2,017 Posts
If “4wd lock” engaged and disengages automatically, then it’s basically the same as the “auto” selection, which doesn’t make sense. It should stay locked with the lock selection unless something’s wrong with it.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YES i READ THAT THANKS I plowed 9 years with my 2004 1500 quad cab and never had 1 problem I just took it easy have about 13 customers and never a problem. Just had inspection here in Boston on the 04 and front end still great.
Today I put a deposit on a 2013 big horn 1500. and in a month or so i will have the push plates and harness installed. I feel confident i will be ok with the plow on the newer truck 2013.

thanks

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only have so much to spend for a newer used truck. The 44-45 TC i think are starting in the 2015 on up to rich for my blood Id be paying about $25k. I put less than 5k miles a year on my trucks and plow about 13 customers so I think I will be ok (I hope) LOL. I will be picking up the truck Friday truck fully loaded.
Thanks for the reply

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny I have posted on about 5-6 Ram sites also and everyone has an opinion but not 1 person has answered hands-on that had a plow put on the 2013 truck and gave their opinion.

The lot where I bought my truck has a 2013 White Ram with a fisher plow on it So i guess i will not be the only one with a plow on a 2013.

I would still like someone with a 2013 - 1500 Big Horn
Ram plow to chime in

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Might be but, trying to look for one might be hard in a 1500 and Im sure they are in the 2500. Which have the plow package. I plowed for 9 years with my 2004 1500 quad and never had a problem but that had the floor positive shifter for the 4x4 which I loved. Why chrysler/Ram has to change a good thing isn't kosher, leave it alone its working and has worked with good results.

So I put caps on all my trucks and will also need to have the push plates and wiring harness installed in 6 weeks after the cap is installed.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
boutch:

Im sure you get lots of snow up where you are in Canada.

This year in Boston very little snow. about 20 inches total-Plowed 4 snow storms.

What vehicle do you plow with and how much snow this year

· Registered
256 Posts
boutch: View attachment 191967

Im sure you get lots of snow up where you are in Canada.

This year in Boston very little snow. about 20 inches total-Plowed 4 snow storms.

What vehicle do you plow with and how much snow this year
Same here. This year wasnt great. We got more snow then you, but out of 12 snow even, 10 turned into rain before the end. Only 2 storm were above 6 inches. The average winter here are 80 to 100 inches of snow. Rarely goes above a couple feet on the ground. This year we didnt have real snow accumulation on the ground until the 2 early march storm.

I started plowing in 2011 with a 2007 ram 2500 gas. In 2015 I switched to a tractor and inverted snow blower. I Still use the tuck to clean curbs after the city plow widen the streets. Quicker then taking the tractor out that way for me. I replaced the gas truck with a 2007 ram 3500 5.9 cummins last year. The gas truck was still in good shape but I could pass the cummins. It Only had 38000 km on and and it wasnt winter driven until I got it.

That 12 year old truck has 60000 km on now. I'm hoping to make that think last for ever. I hate all the crap they put on new trucks.

· Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well here in Boston the snow has been less and less the past few years, about 4 years ago we got snow on Halloween and that was it. Im good with about 5-7 storms to plow but no more and here in Boston not much space to put the snow in the residential homes/property mostly small driveways.

My 04 15 years old, that I sold Saturday had 88k miles I bought with 49k miles and had it for 10 years so I put 40k miles in the 10 years. I dont use a truck that much but need for plowing and owning a home to go get supplies and large items.

Well I hope snow is over here in Boston as I dont plan on having the truck side done for plowing in about 2 months need a cap first and its 4-5 weeks to order one..

Nice chatting with you

Bob in Boston

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.