• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Plowing over millings?

Swamp_Yankee

Anybody ever plow a driveway or parking area made from compacted millings? If so, how does it hold up to plowing? I am considering getting a few loads, spreading with the tractor and renting a vibratory roller to compact them, but don't want to end up scraping them all back up in the winter.

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
Bump plow up a tad should be good.
If you don’t, plow will dig in.
Our yard is asphalt millings, I hate it, but I didn’t put them there...
We never rolled ours, the heat from the sun and people driving over it made it pretty hard.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Anybody ever plow a driveway or parking area made from compacted millings? If so, how does it hold up to plowing? I am considering getting a few loads, spreading with the tractor and renting a vibratory roller to compact them, but don't want to end up scraping them all back up in the winter.
If you have the time to change it out during snow events, you can use a pipe on the cutting edge.
This has been discussed in other threads.
You can make your own, or There's a company in the UP of Michigan that makes them. I think its in Crystal falls.

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
What if it's not in the budget?

OP, you'll be fine. Part of our drive and parking area is millings. You'll scrape up a little, but nothing major once it's packed.
It seems to pack better than gravel or traffic bond.
Kinda forgot I plowed a little yesterday. A friend of mine has his dump trucks in a lot behind my shop.
Plowed a trail so he could get one out after sitting all winter.
BTW, the Cummins in it fired right up and it wasn't plugged in.

meyer22288

PlowSite.com Addict
Our yard at work is millings, I hate it. If it's not in the budget then I have no other ideas, it's black top or nothing for me. I'm down to maybe 7 gravel driveways I plow, I only keep them because I've been plowing them all for over a decade now and they are great payers, I don't take new ones.

dmacleo

little late but I deal with a bunch of drives using what we call reclaim from road construction projects. prob pretty much the same thing.
it will tear like gravel if not careful.