1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Plowing insurance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ctmower, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. ctmower

    ctmower Member
    from CT
    Messages: 38

    Ive been researching this for a while and not sure if theres a straight answer. I do all residential driveways and have been looking at insurance to cover my ass if something were to happen. My question is if its possible to get plow insurance on my truck/equipment without having to get commercial plates for it? the reason i ask is my truck is my daily vechicle whether im plowing or going else where. I know i can get G/L insurance for plowing but not sure if i can get it for my truck/plow without changing the type of registration on the truck.
  2. CountryBoy72

    CountryBoy72 Member
    Messages: 35

    I don't know if the US is the same as Canada. This is how we do it here. Commercial Liability Ins. and Business Ins.(Classification) for the truck, CLI, It also Covers the plow and spreader as well. The CLI goes up by what the add-on attachments are worth. Our vehicle insurance doesn't cover removable objects like plows and spreaders. We switch our insurance over to Business rather than personal and that pertains to the usage. I don't run commercial plates on my trucks. There are probably lots of different ways to do this and your best bet is to contact your insurance agents and they will know exactly what it costs and how to do it. What the exact coverage of each is. An if you have to run commercial plates.
  3. shovelracer

    shovelracer Senior Member
    Messages: 525

    Your answer may vary by state. Your question is can you get commercial insurance for a passenger vehicle. The answer is maybe. In NJ you can get the insurance, but the registration is up to you to update. I guess it would depend on how much your insurance or the police would want to bother you if something happened. So basically you are running a business and using your vehicle for commercial purposes. Then you need to have commercial plates, lettering, and insurance. The problem is when these things dont link up. Furthermore your commercial insurance most likely wont cover you when you are using it personally. Your answer could be 2 vehicles, 2 insurance policies, or some combination. I would advise you to contact your insurance agent and the state to get your answer.
  4. Mark Witcher

    Mark Witcher Senior Member
    Messages: 605

    No problem getting insurance on your pickup for commercial use. But its going to be a commercial policy. Not something you can just add to your personal policy. All personal policies state NO commercial use of the vehicle.
  5. FordFisherman

    FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611
    Messages: 1,613

    I have combination plates and commercial insurance in CT. Not a problem. Not sure what line of work you're in but if you bundle your coverages you can get a better rate. Good luck.
  6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

    EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member
    Messages: 2,607

    I have commercial insurance and I think it was like $500,000 liability if you want to know for sure I will look at my policy.
  7. ctmower

    ctmower Member
    from CT
    Messages: 38

    Since you live in CT you can probably help me out the most. So your saying if i register my truck with combination plates then i can use it for both commercial and private use??
    What does your policy run and who is it through?
  8. Mowtivated Lawn

    Mowtivated Lawn Junior Member
    from Toledo
    Messages: 10

    Ohio plates

    It does not cost that much more for me at least for commercial plates. Plus I was told by the DMV and friend who is a cop that if you use it for a business must have commercial plates because if not you get get ticketed by the motor vehicle inspections and get your stuff impounded. Commercial plates for my truck were no more then 30 dollars more then regular I believe but of course since our state is in a def cit our governor said rates will be going up. Go figure hit us were we have to pay.