Plowing Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NEUSWEDE, Dec 27, 2004.

1. daredevil1

daredevil1 Member

Will just be plowing my own for now. Have to pick up the plow which is 40 miles away though.

2. G.S.Landscaping

G.S.Landscaping Junior Member

I am new to all this stuff and want to know if you need plowing insurance? and over the next 2 years my buisness will hopefully pick up and i want to know about the landscaping side of my company.. how much? who has it? how to apply? what it will cover? i have alway wondered about this and also if you could help me out on info on how to get your company licensed and how much will that cost how do you do that?? ussmileyflag

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes.

Best to check with an insurance agent who writes commercial policies in your area. Start by looking in the phone book.

Also, for business licensing/registration, check with your town/county/state clerk. You might also find information on the Internet. Search something like "Business Structure in Ohio" or "Ohio.gov"

4. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Do any of you Mass. guys recommend an Insurance Company? I'm looking to make a switch for my commercial policy and get an GL policy for plowing

5. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I just made a couple calls to insurance companies I've done business with so I could get a feel for prices. One company said, for just myself, with one pickup plowing, my premium would be in the neighborhood of $4800 for a million dollar in liability coverage.
    I'm in a rural area and don't expect to even take in $4800 in a winter.
    My auto insurance company said they don't insure vehicles used for any type of plowing done with the exception of my own driveway.

So let's do this. If you have an insurance company that charges reasonable rates for the job you are doing, give us the company names here so the rest of us can call companies that know what we really need.

6. Mick

from Maine

Or maybe just not plow. Find something else for an income.

7. blue sky guy

blue sky guy Junior Member

I carry 2 mil GL for $650. Was $1200.00 but having a good agency to shop your policy makes a difference! Once you have 5 yrs in doing the snow or landscape, the companies compete for your business and offer better rates. Again find an agency that does multiple insurance. Note: my policy insures my business in MI for lawn and snow at a pretty good rate. Hope that offers some help to anyone. My auto commercial policy started out at $2500---now $1200 for truck. I have a question for the site??

8. blue sky guy

blue sky guy Junior Member

My question is...If someone like a family member buys a truck and wants to plow for you...what steps are necessary to be covered??

9. mjleno

mjleno Junior Member
    from Jersey

GL & Life Insurance

Hey buddy, I've been plowing my house, mom's and my office for over 5 years. All this is covered under my commercial auto policy on my truck. The liability coverage, plus my personal umbrella covers me. The personal umbrella is great to have and cheap, 5million will cost you about $300/yr. So if someone slips in "your" driveway, such as the UPS guy, your neighbor, etc. you are covered. However, not if you are doing it for a fee "for hire". Then you need the GL. As for having the GL or not, because you only plow and don't shovel or salt, always good to err on the safe side. In life, in order to make a profit, you are going to have expenses. Increase your rates......people WILL pay.
    I understand the life insurance needs. Have you considered replacing your existing policies? I am a Certified Financial Planner by profession; when it snows, I don't see clients as they don't want to travel in the bad weather, so it affords me some extra time to make some extra money, I'm on the road doing it for my office and family anyway, what's a few more hours doing some residential driveways? We need to have multiple streams of income from multiple sources to make it ahead in the current world. Anyway, as I digress, rates have dropped for new applicants as of Jan 1, 2009. New mortality tables. I can most likely get you more coverage for the same remaining time or the same coverage for a longer period or just replace the existing with a new policy and your premium should be reduced, sometimes "substantially". Look me up; www.ameripriseadvisors.com/michael.j.leno hope I can help you more. Have a great new year. Yes, I am aware that this post is several years old. Maybe you see this, maybe not, maybe someone else reads it and gives me a call. It's all good.

10. 78Craft

78Craft Junior Member

There are two different types of GL policies for snow removal. The class code you guys will want to use is 99310. There is an option for just general and also an additional rider for completed operations, which would cover if someone fell.

The GL will cover you and your truck when the blade is dropped or the salt is flying. When you are on the highway not doing 'plow related' activities your buisness auto/commercial insurance will cover it. Depending on the coverage on your vehicle it can also cover your salter and blade if you add'd the additional equipment to the policy with property damage coverage.

11. 78Craft

78Craft Junior Member

You would have to add an addional employee to the GL policy. Would also want to make sure he had the proper coverage on his truck to make sure He is covered.

12. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

Snow Plow Insurance

What a pain! I have been trying to acquire a policy so I can plow streets for the town. What a pain! I have GE for my Landscaping Bus. and they don't want anything to do with Snow Plowing. I have waited weeks for people to get back to me with quotes only to say we cant do it. Two said they can do it for $1650 but that's without the 1 million Umbrella the city wants. The one finally got back to me to say the umbrella would cost a additional $2700! WTF. I just invested in a new truck and plow for $50,000.00 and Plow Ins.going to cost close to $4500 and what if doesn't snow! I Hate this state Please if any one knows a good Ins. Company let me know I have been waiting for another quote and now the girls on vac and no one else there seems to know what she was doing or not.

13. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

Nj insurance

What a pain! I have been trying to acquire a policy so I can plow streets for the town. What a pain! I have GE for my Landscaping Bus. and they don't want anything to do with Snow Plowing. I have waited weeks for people to get back to me with quotes only to say we cant do it. Two said they can do it for $1650 but that's without the 1 million Umbrella the city wants. The one finally got back to me to say the umbrella would cost a additional $2700! WTF. I just invested in a new truck and plow for $50,000.00 and Plow Ins.going to cost close to $4500 and what if doesn't snow! I Hate this state Please if any one knows a good Ins. Company let me know I have been waiting for another quote and now the girls on vac and no one else there seems to know what she was doing or not.

14. propertycare

propertycare Junior Member

Looking for PA Commercial Snow and Ice Insurance

15. joepetrilli

joepetrilli Member
    from NJ

I don't know about Maine but just found out my plow insurance will be more than double this year! Over $4000 for one plow! Crazy I would think twice!

16. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Mick is 100% correct and his advice is sound. This scenario just underscores the importance of dealing with a good, reputable independent insurance agent. I can't tell you how often I review cheap, substandard insurance policies where either the client doesn't care (just wants cheap insurance), or the insurance agent (usually a captive) has no idea what is covered and gives the client the wrong advice. I deal with this scenario every day.
    Reach out to a good, larger sized independent agent. Seriously, we are your best resource.
    Ben/Insurance

17. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran

Grave diggers !

:D

18. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, Ben. As you can see. the question of insurance is an age-old problem. Even more so now than five years ago when I wrote the first post on this page. And it's only going to get worse. The part-timer is getting squeezed out. I'd still say you'll be better off finding something else.

19. bran1har

bran1har Junior Member
    from CT

If I was to plow without comm insurance or GL, wouldn't it be better to not write up any contracts with anyone and just find clients that are willing to pay cash on the spot and then if anything happens I could just say I was never there, I didn't plow the driveway and no transaction ever occured? Not to be a scumbag but if something went wrong and the customer was really pissed, theoretically I could just be out of there.

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer Banned
    from N,E. MN

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
    I needed that.

& Ah no.

You can run but you can't hide, contract or no contract.

what do you have of value, because you will need to sell it to pay the person you backed over. Not only that any and all future moneys until the dept is paid.

What could go wrong, when lowing for beer money?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014