Plowing Insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NEUSWEDE, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

General liability comes in three basic forms; Residential, Commercial and Municipal. One will not GENERALLY include another, but could on a limited basis. Around here, your apartment complex would be considered Commercial. There is no such thing as "basic coverage"; it's not like auto insurance. The cost will depend on your specific circumstances. Where I pay $850/yr for $1 million, someone else may pay 3-4x that. Start with your insurance agent. Next choice - find an independent agent - one not affiliated with a specific company.

2. Mick

from Maine

If it's a "Commercial Vehicle" policy noting use as a plow truck. PERSONAL USE policies will not always cover use as a plowtruck

3. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

farm family. farmfamily.com. FYI, they're hesitant to underwrite people just starting out. Make sure you have some experience before you call. And don't just ask about snow plow coverage. If it's an accessory activity, it's a lot cheaper.

4. branko1

branko1 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I've been going through my truck's owner's manual and under "snowplowing" there was a big warning "do not use this vehicle for snow plowing." It is a ford ranger and obviously there are people that use it to plow. My question is if I do plow with it will it make my insurance void? Or in part void?

5. Mick

from Maine

Probably not. It'll just possibly void any warranty.

6. ramblinman522

ramblinman522 Junior Member
    from ny

Call my agent WJ Farmer Insurance. They saved me $800 off my commercial auto insurance and $400 off my general liability insurance. 1-800-409-9390

7. ramblinman522

ramblinman522 Junior Member
    from ny

My insurance agent saved me a ton of money. I just have one Ford F250 with a plow. By ton of money I mean they saved me $800 on the commercial auto and $600 on the general liability. WJ Farmer Insurance 1-800-409-9390 X4

8. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

who needs to have g l when you are just pulling into a comercail lot to plow snow and not do any salting . i don't bother with the salting just a waste of time for me . commercial insurance on truck /plow only for me . my aganet told me if i'm doing any salting or shoveling i said no . insurance people told me to go get a contract made by a lawyer stating i will not be held responible . the property owners that i plow snow for . they sign it and i sign . my contract states that i don't do any salting or shoveling or snowblowing . if someone falls on the lot they can't touch me what so ever because property owners have signed papers . i only cover any damages to property only . prsport

9. Mick

from Maine

Good luck with that. ALWAYS believe EVERYTHING an insurance agent says when they're trying to sell you a policy:rolleyes:. It wasn't State Farm, was it?

10. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

a company hires you to plow a lot only i.it not my job to take care of the salting . if they want salt they can go with someone esle . my dad has plowed for 30 plus years never did have to have g l insurance . i can see having g /l if you are doing the salting . but just snow plowing not a problem . by the way mick it was not STATE FARM THEY SUCK THERE PRICES ARE FRIGGING HIGHER THAN ANYTHING

11. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Serious?
    Where are you located? Fantasy Land?

12. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

$2,340.... for the 08-09 season with 1 million coverage per and 2 million agrregate. THat is in NJ for residential and commercial. They actually requested copies of my commercial contracts this year. Last year was $2,100.00. The same company has our auto, gen. liab. and w/c. We do gross $25-75k/year with snow.

And I would never plow anything without insurance, period. Way to many people out there looking for a friggin hand out. Does not matter wether you plow, salt, shovel, etc If someone slips and falls(*or anything else) they will sue EVERYONE who stepped onto the lot. Without insurance you defend yourself. AND...when they do file a claim against you in civil court kiss your credit score good bye by 50 pts.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  13. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

heck i'm in indiana . i have commercial insurance to cover any damage done to the property . not people that fall on there sweet a$$ . either way that person can't go after me lol. just what my lawyer said he wrote my contracts up . stating not responible slips and falls if property owners sign it they pay me to plow lot . not salting .

14. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Hey do what you want, there is not a contract in the world that could stop a negligence lawsuit and your great lawyer should have explained that to you. From ice forming from melting snow that YOU plowed. Or a kid running out or over or around a pile of snow that YOU piled, of course in the wrong spot, and gets hurt or -----. Right, you don't need liability insurance.
    You could get lucky for 30 years and then one time, your done.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  15. mksuwndr

mksuwndr Junior Member

I wouldt just be worried about somebody slipping or falling(no contract will hold up in court). These guys are all right. If you would happen to hit a pedestrian in that lot while you were plowing you might as well kiss your life and money goodbye. Alot of places are now requiring 1 mil 2mil aggregate just for you to plow thier lots.

16. hinikersnowplow

hinikersnowplow Member
    from on aol

i only plow 10 commercial lots . so the g l is not gonna get me any where . i would only lose profit if i went with g l .

17. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 Member

My Insurance agent is running my sub contracting snow plowing under my normal General Liability on my excavating company. He said I don't need any special snow plow G I and that my G I on my excavating company would cover any accidents or law suits should they happen. Like I said though I am a sub contractor so I have no direct contact with the people we are plowing for so maybe that makes it a little different.

18. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Hey who does everyone have for insurance???? Ive had a few comany over the years,Selective insurance,acuity,Indiana(sub of liberty mutal) and current have american family,I go through a broker to see whatever gives me the best rate for my buck had a claim last year for the first time and it was not worth it!!!!

19. daredevil1

daredevil1 Member

Does anyone know of an auto insurance company that will cover me if I have a plow that is for personal use only? I don't want to get commercial truck insurance or business insurance if I don't need it. Thanks.

20. Mick

from Maine

Are you plowing anything other than your own property (rented or owned)?

If no, then your homeowner insurance will cover that property. Many insurance company policies will also cover you if you are traveling between your home and the nearest gas station.

If yes, then you are plowing commercially and need commercial insurance,