1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in Maryland

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Cleanscape, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Cleanscape

Cleanscape Junior Member

I run a company called Cleanscape Design we plow in the winter but in looking for any tips how to obtain my own contracts.We sub for a company and they pay per salt and per push which isn’t bad . I’m just having a hard time getting my foot in the door to even bid on contracts. Let me know if you have any tips

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite Fanatic

What services do you provide in the Spring/ summer/ fall?
    Have you considered going after your customer base you have during those seasons? That’s probably where you’ll have the best luck. furthermore, if subcontracts are working we for you thus far, why do you want to get your own contracts?

3. prezek

prezek Senior Member

What part of the state?

4. OP
    OP
    Cleanscape

Cleanscape Junior Member

We offer landscape installs and hardscaping.Just figure with my own contracts I can make more money.
    Howard County and Anne Arundel County Carroll County
    If it’s worth we will pretty much do it

5. OP
    OP
    Cleanscape

Cleanscape Junior Member

Of course for snow removal we try to stay more local like Howard in Carroll County

6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Cleanscape: I plowed from 1979 until 2016. I always would under book myself. During a plowable event, I would always get extra work. During the 2015 Blizzard, my phone blew up like everyone else's did.

Unfortunately, the Baltimore area got 1 "dusting" this year. Point being: You could be the best at snow plowing, but your phone won't ring with 1 "dusting".

If it snows next year, and you have the equipment but no customers, people will find you because of the work that you already do. If you have a website, optimize the "search" for snow removal in the cold months.

This may not be the answer you are looking for. Good Luck / Rick

Cleanscape likes this.
  7. Kinport

Kinport Senior Member

Late to the party on this one, but I wanted to add my two cents.
    First, I would come up with an advertising plan that took advantage of all the different mediums in my area. I would put an ad in the services section of my local paper, I would advertise through Craigslist and Facebook, I would list my company with Homeadvisor and Angies List. I would create a website if you don’t have one and use SEO to make sure you rank on google when someone does a search related to your services in your area. If you don’t know how to do that, you can pay someone to do it for you. I paid a local web developer roughly $1000 for a basic site that ranks on Google. I’d create an Instagram account for the business and spend time on there each day trying to get locals in your area to follow you so they see your company name and pictures of your work.

8. Kinport

Kinport Senior Member

Second,( and this is far more effective than advertising in my mind), you have to get out and sell. Get out, go business to business or house to house, and ask them if you can give them a bid to do their snow removal. It can be hard and uncomfortable. A lot of people will brush you off, but once you learn how to sell you’ll find it’s far more effective(at least I did) than sitting at home waiting for your phone to ring.

advertising is great, but your asking the customer to do all the work. They have to find you, call you, etc. Going out and selling services puts the ball in your court and gives you a bit more control.

sorry, a bit long winded so I’ll shut up, but I love talking about this stuff. Let me know if you have any questions on what I said and I’ll try to clarify