Plowing condos

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Green7650, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Green7650

Green7650 Junior Member

Need some suggestions.. we do snow removal on condos and villas. In a 2 inch snowfall we do roughly 400 drives in one night. Each villa has 30-50 drives in each complex. In the past we have used skidsteers with kage plows and walker lawn mowers (with cabs). Just trying to get other ways to speed up the process. With the skid steer u have to back drag the drive to the road and then push up in the grass. I hate doing this because u touch the snow twice.. the walkers work really well because u just divide the drive in half and push into yard. Only downfall is no heated cab and they don’t do well with 6 inch plus snows (we get about 3-5 of them per year). Just trying to see what other options I have... thanks guys

2. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

Inverted blower...back blade

icudoucme likes this.
  3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Tractor with a blower I would bet is the fastest way to get it done, that is a lot of driveways.

Philbilly2 and m_ice like this.
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

first place I ever plowed we did a bunch of condoplexs

we had pull plows behind pickups. First year or two of plowing snow, I never even had a plow on the front of the truck I was in. Just dragging drives every snow.

We worked in teams with trucks that had front blades or skidloaders with push boxes.

Once I saw an inverted blower in action... we were doing it all wrong. o_O

Mark Oomkes, icudoucme and m_ice like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Green7650

Green7650 Junior Member

Thanks guys. Just trying to speed the process up with less guys. I’m leaning toward the inverted snowblower. Was wondering if it’s the best option

6. m_ice

m_ice PlowSite.com Addict

No question...it is the best option you just have to have the work to justify it which it appears you do.
    I'd probably pick up a back blade just in case something happens to the tractor.

FredG and Philbilly2 like this.
  7. BrianQ68

BrianQ68 Junior Member
    from Mass

What is the difference between an inverted blower and a snow blower mounted to a skid steer. After using a toolcat with a snow blower to do a small condo, i bought a blower for my JD 328 and rented 2 Bobcats with blowers.Just curious, if there's a difference or just 2 ways of saying the same thing?

8. cjames808

cjames808 Senior Member
    from SE WI

Inverted hangs off the arse end. You back in and drop her.

9. prezek

prezek Senior Member

Check out some of the threads on this site or some videos. Pretty crazy how quick some of the guys with tight routes get through their drives.

10. BrianQ68

BrianQ68 Junior Member
    from Mass

I would think, a blower on the front would do a better job. When it's on the rear you have to drive over the snow first. I don't know where you guys plow but here, when you drive over snow it packs down and is very hard to remove.
    Thanks for quick replies, I'll take a look at videos...

11. Unraveller

Unraveller Senior Member

There's a thread, about 110 pages long, dedicated to showing it's the best way to do it. Very large, soft tires have such low PSI, that anything you push down, scrapes up pretty well.

12. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

When you use a plow, front or rear, you ride over the snow first. An inverted snowblower seems to float over cracks and rough surfaces while the front mount seems to catch more. The inverted is the best commercial tool for driveways that I have ever used. I've been at it full time for a long time.

Philbilly2, 512high and m_ice like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Green7650

Green7650 Junior Member

Herm witte. This seems to be my best option moving forward. Labor is gonna get harder
    To find. Thanks Guys

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite Veteran

look at the pics of the inverted blower with the blade that drops down to scrape behind the blower

15. seville009

seville009 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CNY

An inverted blower has an edge on it that drops down and lets you drag snow forward, so you can back up to a garage door, drop the edge, and pull the snow away from the door before engaging the blower from what I’ve seen

with a skidsteer blower, you will always leave a little berm of snow in front of the blower as you’re going forward, so once you reach the garage, you have to go sideways to get rid of it.

m_ice likes this.
  16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

An inverted blower is a mating of a drag box and and a snowblower is the best way I can describe it. Drag it out, then engage the pto when you are at a good spot to launch it.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You think wrong.

What do you do about the snow that gets pushed in front of the blower?

OP....why do you hate yourself?

m_ice likes this.