Plow won't angle when lifted.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Downeastah, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Downeastah

Downeastah Junior Member

I haven't seen this before. I have the Fisher 8'6" straight blade. I've used it once so far this winter, it worked fine. Now it angles to the right fine but when I try to angle it left it was hitching, fetching up and barely moving. But, it'll work fine on the ground! Left, right, no problem. But if it's lifted it won't angle left. The fluid level is fine and it's changed every year
    Any ideas what the problem could be?

2. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Check the suction tube inside the reservoir that it didnt fall off

NYH1 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Downeastah

Downeastah Junior Member

I've never taken any part of it apart, wouldn't know where to begin.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Drain fluid, remove 4 bolts from canister, drop canister, inspect pickup tube.
    May need to unbolt power assy from headgear to get canister off

MADE IN MAINE, NYH1 and Philbilly2 like this.
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

To expand on what Dieselss is saying. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Red are the 4 bolts to drop the canister
    Blue is the filter and pickup

Pickup.JPG

NYH1 and dieselss like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Downeastah

Downeastah Junior Member

I've got the whole pump off, everything going good. The only thing that fetched me up a bit was the round screen on a rubber tube laying in the bottom of the reservoir. I had a moment of 'where the hell does it go, it doesn't fit in anywhere!.' Then I realized it doesn't go in anywhere, it must be the return screen that goes over the skinny pipe coming out the bottom of the manifold.

7. cwren2472

cwren2472 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, the older pumps didnt have a suction tube like the one shown in Phil's post. The newer one in the picture has a bracket to keep it from falling off again so it might be worth it to pickup the newer style before you reassemble it

Philbilly2, NYH1 and Western1 like this.
  8. MADE IN MAINE

MADE IN MAINE Junior Member

9. MADE IN MAINE

Hello my name is Matt -I recently had the same problem , I found that my plugs ,(I hav a MM1, WITH 2 PLUGS) , SPECIFICALLY THE PLUT FOR MY SOLENOIDS , THE 9 PIN ONE, HAD TO BE REPLACED SO AMAZON AND $75.00 FOR THE 9 PIN PAIR (M & F) , BUT STILL HAD TO PLOW B4 REPLACEMENTS ARRIVED IN THE MAIL ... SO TO MAKE IT WORK , I HAD TO TWEAK THE PLU ASSEMBLY WHILE TOGETHER , THEN TIENWRAPPED IT DOWN IN THAT WORKING POSITION.!!!
    THAT WORKED SO WELL I MIGHT JUST WAIT UNTIL SPRANG TO DO THE R & R !!
    Good luk -hope that helped

10. MADE IN MAINE

Sometimes its justa simple solution .

11. Western1

Western1 PlowSite.com Addict
    from MI.

Good luck!

12. OP
    OP
    Downeastah

Downeastah Junior Member

I've got a small regular pipe clamp to go with the spring clamps to hold the return screen on. Now it's the inlet fitting. I took pictures before I started and I can just see a tiny bit of the old O ring. The new O ring is in the groove where it's supposed to be and the instructions said to drive the barbed end in until the O ring is not visible. That inlet and ring is not going any further. Have you guys gotten that in far enough that the ring is inside or did you just clamp it down good with the clip and cap screw?

13. timboy

timboy Senior Member
    from Ny

It must be driven in far enough that the o ring is not visible,I usually gently take a hammer to the flat spot before it makes the bend,the clamp will simply bend into whatever shape the tube makes it if its not fully seated before the clip is installed.

14. OP
    OP
    Downeastah

Downeastah Junior Member

It's back on the truck. Thanks guys. Trying to work it back and forth to get the fluid all the way in it. Still fetching up trying to angle left. It shut itself off once. Guess I'll make an appointment for it and let those guys fix it.

15. OP
    OP
    Downeastah

Downeastah Junior Member

What the heck is going on with this thing. It was lifting the plow ok, angling right was like a split second delay, but angling left I had to tap the button quickly and even then it wasn't smooth. So I put it down and tried lifting it again and now it won't do that.
    I've seen something about couplers before but I can't find it. I would like to learn fixing this darn thing.

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try a new controller

17. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Fanatic

You do not have couplers. When it don't work, is the motor running?