Plow will not raise.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sigley89, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:51 PM.

1. sigley89

sigley89 Junior Member
    from Alaska

I bought an old '78 chevy with a Unimount Western plow attached to it. The plow was working fine with no issues. My road is pretty much dirt & gravel and very uneven and bumpy. While plowing the vibrations and banging knocked my left headlight off of the plow mount and it broke ( I say this in case it is relevant to something in the wiring harness breaking). I just have it attached at the moment to the mount with some zip ties, and it was working like this with no issues. While plowing my road I noticed that after I plowed the snow into a ditch (below the grade of the road) the plow would not raise. If I reversed a little bit it would work fine and I figured that it was normal. Well it will not raise at all now. I have the left and right controls working just not up. I've dug around in the forums and I've changed the fluids and sprayed out the chamber that holds the fluid in it with brake cleaner and then wiped it out with a clean rag. Cleaned the filter screen and filled it with fluid to the fill level. Still no up. I disconnect the chain from the piston and I can lift the piston up and I can push it back down so it's not stuck or frozen. The piston is shiny and has no chips or rust on it. I've disconnected the big connector that has the 2 large pins and swabbed it out with a qtip and some WD40. Ive taken the cover off the 3 solenoids and referenced the connections to the owners manual and they are correct and still there.

I can rebuild an engine but I'm not all together good at chasing wiring. With the truck running and not operating the controls, I connected a meter to the positive post of the motor and the other connect to ground it shows i'm getting continuous power to the motor. So I assume all my connections to the motor are good. Is my motor bad?

I haven't had a chance to take jumper cables and connect the motor straight to the battery like other forums have said. I travel for work and I'm not home at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Matt

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Fanatic

Does your motor on the plow try to run when you press up on the controller?

3. OP
    OP
    sigley89

sigley89 Junior Member
    from Alaska

Not sure. I dont have anyone to listen for it when I operated the controls and the old chevy is too loud to hear over it. :/ That being said I do not hear any whine or noise from the system like i do when it goes left or right

4. Philbilly2

Try just turning the key on and leaving the motor off and listen to see if the motor is attempting to work.

If it is not trying to spin, then it is narrowed down very quickly to electrical. If you have access to another 6 pin controller, I would start with trying that first just to rule out a bad controller.

Western1 likes this.
  5. Philbilly2

And this does not make any sense to me. You should only have power at your motor when you command up, left, or right on your controller. The solenoid under you hood has to close to make contact and supply the 12v+ to the motor. The fact that you left and right still working properly is the part that throws this out the window :confused:

6. OP
    OP
    sigley89

sigley89 Junior Member
    from Alaska

I'll give this a try and give an update.

7. OP
    OP
    sigley89

sigley89 Junior Member
    from Alaska

So with key in and turned to accessory, plow moves left and right but not up. No noise except from the clicking on the toggle control.

8. Philbilly2

Do you have access to another controller to try to rule that out?

9. OP
    OP
    sigley89

sigley89 Junior Member
    from Alaska

I do not. Is there a way to test to see if the controller is bad? Like with a voltmeter? I have the tools to test power but haven't really developed the skills to use it well. I just need to know the settings to use and where to use them. I can read a wiring diagram and follow wires if you're interested in giving me areas to check.

10. Philbilly2

Disconnect your controller at the little white plug

If you apply 12v+ to pin #1 and connect pin #3 to ground, your controller light should be on.

Once you have the controller light on, you can test for 12v+ at pin #4

Controller test.JPG

If you do not have voltage at pin number #4 on your controller, you need a new controller.

If you have 12v+ there, we can move on to troubleshooting wiring... but... by the way that you are saying that you get the motor to run and the blade to move left and right, you will not have 12v+ there as the signal to run the motor is sent through the same wire to activate the motor to run.

11. OP
    OP
    sigley89

sigley89 Junior Member
    from Alaska

Awesome. I'll do this test when I get home. Thanks for your help!

12. Philbilly2

And I should add (even though I think it is assumed) that when I am saying to test for 12v+ at pin #4 is when you are commanding a direction. It should light up for all direction commands of the joystick except for a down/float command.

My apologies if this is simple common sense to you as well. Thumbs Up

sigley89 likes this.