Snow Plowing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

· Super Moderator
42,963 Posts
Looking for advice on a plow truck for property I am going to in the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Andy
Budget?
Yard truck or hi way worthy?
Is the property a second residence, if so about how long between visits?
How long of a driveway and type of terrain?

And welcome to the site

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be a primary residence with a driveway between 1500-2500’ in length. I am looking at properties all 300+ acres with heavily forested rural terrain. I would want the truck road worthy. My budget is $35,000 or so.

Thank you for the welcome Buff.

Andy

· Registered
58,697 Posts
1 ton and a vplow.

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Although after this year you might want a loader with a blower.

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Yeah. The UP can get 240" per season. A straight blade or V will work to so many inches of banks and piles...then you have to bring in the heavy equipment.
They can and do. Marquette is over 7 feet just in February. Tamarack is over 300". 4-6' on the ground over much of the middle and northern UP.

· Registered
326 Posts
They can and do. Marquette is over 7 feet just in February. Tamarack is over 300". 4-6' on the ground over much of the middle and northern UP.
I've been going there for 40 years and have had family up there for 50 years. That's serious snow like they get in the mountains. 1/2 mile long drives that are heavily forested sounds beautiful: a plow can only move so much snow so far...especially commercially. The op may want a 1 ton with a heavy plow for the 1st half, and a blower for the extreme stuff. I like saying all they can grow up there is trees and rocks. My uncle has seen snow every month of the year up there except July.

· Registered
134 Posts
Depends how many accounts you have and what your contract promises. If you think you can manage to service everyone within 6-8hrs then a 1 ton truck with a V blade and you will do very well. If you are planning to perform after storm service a blower might be the safer option.
Cloud Sky Tire Vehicle Wheel

Cloud Sky Tire Vehicle Wheel

· Registered
58,697 Posts
Depends how many accounts you have and what your contract promises. If you think you can manage to service everyone within 6-8hrs then a 1 ton truck with a V blade and you will do very well. If you are planning to perform after storm service a blower might be the safer option.
View attachment 190928

View attachment 190927
Personal driveway.

Reactions: Jacobmb

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First we are going to need to explain the nomenclature to me. I just simply do not have the vocabulary or understanding of it to really converse with you. I have been for the last couple of decades mostly a bi-costal urban dweller with extended periods in Europe. You see I simply have no idea what a 1-ton is or v blade. To put my new low key adventure into context think Green Acres. So, I know I want to be independent and live a simpler life. The problem is I will need a to be shown the ropes along the way during this adventure.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah I see. horrible predicament to be in - looking for 300+ acre properties. I feel for yah.

ONE personal property with a few thousand feet of driveway.

In that case - I would say any hd truck with a V blade as long as you are home to plow with the storm...
It is a hard burden to carry. Plow with the storm? That sounds like I am taking it out for drinks and a show? I gather it must be a strategy of some sort but what does it mean?

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 190928

View attachment 190927
That is impressive. I suspect, I should be salivating over it; just one, small catch, I have literally no idea what it does or is!

· Registered
134 Posts
A v blade as opposed to a straight blade has a hinge in the center. Using a controller you can form a straight blade a v or an inverted V. This is particularly useful when you can't push heavy amounts of snow forward and instead just need to cut through it.

· Super Moderator
10,617 Posts
First we are going to need to explain the nomenclature to me. I just simply do not have the vocabulary or understanding of it to really converse with you. I have been for the last couple of decades mostly a bi-costal urban dweller with extended periods in Europe. You see I simply have no idea what a 1-ton is or v blade. To put my new low key adventure into context think Green Acres. So, I know I want to be independent and live a simpler life. The problem is I will need a to be shown the ropes along the way during this adventure.
1 ton truck
Ford F-150 is half ton
250 is a 3/4
350 is a one time

Straight blade has a straight moldboard and angles left or right.

A v blade has a center pine and hinge in the middle where it piviots making a V shape.
The shape is good for drifts and larger amounts of snow as it can punch through and deflect snow to both sides.
A v blade can be a straight blade but a straight can't be a v.
The positions of a straight blade are as follows:

- / \

V blade.

- /\ \/ / \

· Registered
17,061 Posts
Maybe you can mosey on down to Sam Drucker's general store put a note on the board, looking for somebody to plow my driveway. Just stay clear of Mr. Haney

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A v blade as opposed to a straight blade has a hinge in the center. Using a controller you can form a straight blade a v or an inverted V. This is particularly useful when you can't push heavy amounts of snow forward and instead just need to cut through it.
So, the blade is literally shaped like a big v or wedge to reduce resistance and increase effectiveness... good to know. I knew I should have paid attention more on those trips to Tahoe.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.