1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow motor stays running

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jman3624, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jman3624

jman3624 Junior Member

first off thanks for any help... i have western unimount plow on a 2002 chevy 2500 hd I just put this plow on .... I hook up both plow cables and its fine. I then toggle the controller (any direction) it dosent move and the motor stays running.. if I unhook the 9 pin cable and rehook it it resets any ideas????

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well look first at the underhood solenoid. Is it the "proper" type and how many wires are going to it?

3. jman3624

jman3624 Junior Member

it is the right solenoid... the plow power wire then positive cable to battery then the 2 small post on the solenoid have the 2 wires for the controller harness and a wire from one of the small post to neg side of battery

4. dieselss

Well what I would do next is remove the pos out to plow cable. Take your test light to that post and toggle the plow up,left,right and see if you have test light. If you light stays on when you release the clicker either solenoid is bad or wiring or clicker
    Is it a 4 stud solenoid?

5. jman3624

jman3624 Junior Member

yes 2 big post 2 little post

6. dieselss

Ok. Then try that test I mentioned. You can also prob the posts for pwr and gnd

7. jswank

jswank Junior Member

I have a western unimount plow on my 01 z71 and had a remote start put on then my plow motor after bit wont shut off I unhooked the remote start but didn't take everything out. Was running pump yesterday and pump wouldn't shut off again any ideas.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

Your soliniod for your plow needs to be changed

9. jswank

jswank Junior Member

It's a new one just put on at the end of last season. I wouldn't think it be bad already but guess it could be.

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 PlowSite Veteran

Do you own a test light or a multimeter?

11. dieselss

Take it back to the alarm installer. They hooked into something they shouldn't have

12. jswank

jswank Junior Member

I do not have one at the moment.

13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite Veteran

If you own s plow, a test light and some basic hand tools are a must.

14. jswank

jswank Junior Member

Got tools just not test light. it doesn't do it all the time that's what I don't get.

15. dieselss

I'll repost this cause I think you missed it

16. Randall Ave

Read it again, do this.

17. jswank

jswank Junior Member

Well thought had it fixed used it today for one drive no issues then just got in truck to leave for work and plow is completely dead no response what so ever.

18. jswank

jswank Junior Member

And the remote start installer was my cousin so if our schedules ever meet up Ganna have him take it out but not looking like we can meet up any time soon.

19. Randall Ave

Before you throw cus under the bus, diagnose what's wrong with the plow. It's a unimount, very simple wiring.

20. jswank

jswank Junior Member

My solenoid is melted now along with positive wire won't let me up load pic of it