Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey how’s it going, I am new! Anyways my plow just last night started to kill my truck when I move it, I thought it was the alternator but it is charging at 14.6 volts, the battery is pretty old and I don’t even know what it is. The plow and truck work fine unless I lift it up and set it down like 5-6 times then it kills the truck. I had a load test done on the alt and it was perfectly fine. I have a 2004 F-250 with the 6.8L V-10

· Registered
17,183 Posts
A short, And your solenoid could be shorting out.
does it smell burnt that electrical burning smell?

Follow the power leads out to the plow.
do they look good or have they rubbed through someplace?

Open the cover sniff around the coils anything smelt burnt?

Doesn’t take much though to kill a battery with a bad cell , have you had the battery tested?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A short, And your solenoid could be shorting out.
does it smell burnt that electrical burning

Follow the power leads go out to the plow.
do they look good or have they rubbed through someplace?

Open the cover sniff around the coils anything smelt burnt?

Doesn’t take much though to kill a battery with a bad cell , have you had the battery tested?
yes battery failed, nkthing smells burnt at all and the power wires and ground look brand new

· Registered
17,474 Posts
I once had a hoist on an old truck that periodically killed my engine. It turned out the engine ground was bad and it was grounding through the solenoid for the hoist. When I applied power to the hoist it killed the engine.
Replacing the engine ground fixed it.

But yeah if your battery is bad... Start there.

· Registered
138 Posts
Like others have said check your grounds.

Had a Bronco break the ground from the engine block up to the battery. Broke at the clamp on the frame. LOOKED fine but after 3 months of chasing gremlins I finally noticed it. Went to unbolt the end to clean it and the ground wire fell off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts