1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Plow Hydraulic Question about my CTL...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by TL697, Oct 6, 2008.

  1. TL697

    TL697 Senior Member
    Messages: 189

    I just scored an 8' blade and A-frame off Craigslist for $250...

    I have the Quicktach mounting plates to fabricate the plow to mount on my ASV SR-80...

    The only thing I'm lacking is a hydraulic cylinder, hoses, and flat-face couplers. I think one cylinder would do just fine. My machine is equiped w/ proportional aux hydraulics, so I'm not worried about the plow moving to quick, but if it's not too much extra pain and $$$, I wouldn't mind a relief valve and/or restrictor...

    Can anyone point me in the right direction? What and Where to purchase?


  2. SCSIndust

    SCSIndust Senior Member
    Messages: 280

    I have a T190, and I put a 10' Meyer on it. I used flow restrictors on each of the hoses. If you have a smaller plow, you'd want a 1/64 inch. I used a 1/32, but my blade weighs a lot. It keeps the plow from moving too fast. I didn't put on relief valves so when the plow goes from one side to the next, it hits the sides harder than I would like it to. But other than that, it works and was easy to make.
  3. powerjoke

    powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,341

    i would think that you would need 2 cylinder's

    not becouse of the singe/vs/double acting but because of the leverage that the cylinder's hold.

    if you have a double acting on the right side of the blade and hit osmething on the left. it is pry-ing on the blade at the center pin, as apposed to 2'6" away from the pin where the cylinder used to be.

    the size of the oriface has nothing to do with the force the blade will angle :dizzy:

    as long as you use a smalle bore cylinder. you can regulate the force that it applies to the A-frame and bump stop's.......but it wont do anything for "relief" if you hit something. you'll need a hydraulic crossover valve for that.

    i don't have crossover valves on any of my blade's and never had a problem. so i think you'll be fine too.

    the Flat-face coupler's are 'bout $100-$150 per set so you may wanna consider converting to pioneer tip's with flatface adapter's (that's what i do)

  4. DugHD

    DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine
    Messages: 420

    One normal plow ram will not hold the 8' blade straight under heavy pushing. I would recommend using two.
    On another note if plow manufacturers could get away with one ram you can bet thats all they would use. Good luck , doug
  5. SCSIndust

    SCSIndust Senior Member
    Messages: 280

    Orifice size has nothing to do with the force, but the speed of the movement. You don't want that plow swinging around so fast that it slams into the side. I guess I was referring to a crossover relief valve. Whatever it is, it is supposed to absorb the residual movement of the blade when you stop angling it. When I let of the switch, the plow keeps moving a little with the residual pressure in the cylinders. You need something to counter that.
  6. powerjoke

    powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,341

    it sounds like you may have another problem?.....maybe not a big problem but something aint right?

    maybe you have a hose swelling on you and absorbing the PSI or something:confused:

    Basher is pretty good on hydraulic's maybe he can help out?

  7. SCSIndust

    SCSIndust Senior Member
    Messages: 280

    I don't want to hijack the thread. It is just the split second pressure until the valve closes. The valve is electronic and isn't as fast as your fingers can move. I have heard many others with bobcats have this, and a relief / xover fixes it. Nothing major. You just have to know about it or it will startle you when you first use it.
  8. TL697

    TL697 Senior Member
    Messages: 189

    Thanks for all the info...

    Where can I find these supplies?
  9. SCSIndust

    SCSIndust Senior Member
    Messages: 280

    I found mine at a local hydraulic shop. They made the hoses and had the couplers. I paid a total of $175 for the hoses, couplers, and flow restrictors. Just make sure they don't sell you the adjustable restrictors, as they are not what you need.