Snow Plowing Forum banner

Plow Efficiency Charts

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jaclawn 
#1 ·
Just wondering,Does anyone have plow efficiency chart that they use for giving estimates...Example..10,000 sq.ft.lot using a 6'-6" plow with apx.2 to 3 inches of snow takes how much time to do.I have one for mowing rates..Various speeds,mower widths,overlap, ect..and it works out darn close.I will be doing mainly residential,but I'm looking at offering services to some smaller commercial folks in my area...and a chart like this sure would be helpful.Any ideas,Thanks JOHN

#2 ·
I've got a copy of one that was done up by a landscape consultant. I could fax it to you. It's not foolproof, but it's better than nothing.

I probably have your fax number somewhere, but with all the remodeling going on at our office (to accommodate the FU gig) I may have some difficulty putting my hands on it quick.

john@allinco.com

#4 ·
Chart

This chart sounds like something all SIMA members can benefit from. Then again, it may be copyrighted, so not possible to share with all. If it is not copyrighted, a bulk mailing to members may make everyones day! Especially those new to plowing who joined SIMA to learn, and get help.
Just another idea of how SIMA can help the membership more!
You could add a disclaimer stating it's not 100% accurate for every situation. Just a guidline.

Easier than faxing, you could scan the chart, and e mail it. Then you wouldn't have to dial all the #'s, and keep feeding it through the machine. I wouldn't mind seeing it myself.

~Chuck

#5 ·
Actually, it is out of Phil Nillson's (sp) stuff. I've heard him talk and I think he's a bit of a loose cannon and his ideas are abit funky in some areas - but the snow stuff he has (which is severely limited) isn't too awful bad. He has some very, very limited experience in the snow business - in fact, my opinion is that alot of his theories are based upon experience that is not all that extensive. Anyway, that's the chart I'm speaking of. Knowing Phil, it's copyrighted and I'd be very uncomfortable putting it out under SIMA's name, or my name. Passing it around privately is one thing, but I think it DOES belong to Phil, and no matter what I think of his ideas personally, I'm against breaking the law (even if the intentions are good).

It would sort of feel like me passing off Chucks knowledge and ideas as my own, which wouldn't be right at all.

#6 ·
I can fully understand the situation. I was under the impression it was made by a firm you hired at one time. If that was the case, anything they did for you, you likely would "own". Such as reports, safety manuals, or procedure manuals, etc.

No, Phil's stuff IS copyrighted, and I think we have the same opinion of his snow experience. Landscaping is another story, he seems to really know his stuff. He has helped MANY here at lawnsite, for which I commend him.

Just curious, is that chart from his book on Snow plowing? If it is, can you tell me how many pages the book is? I asked him myself before, and he didn't reply. Others replied that the number of pages doesn't matter, just what is in the book. In fact, I had asked why most of the books he sells on the web, don't list the # of pages. It's very common for book titles in general to include the # of pages at the end of the description. My point was that I'd like to know just how much potential information I might be buying. As in a 300 page book, vs. a 100 page book. Granted the 300 page book might have less pertinent info than the 100 page book, but I personally would expect more information in a 300 page book. Again, just my opinion. I don't mean to "bash" Phil in any way. He has helped so many in the industry, and I can appreciate that.

~Chuck

#7 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong..... I'm not 'bashing' him either. Lots of people in the landscape industry need some guidance (me included). Phil fills a huge void. I just don't happen to agree with some things he says - and I'm certain that there are others around that don't agree with some of the stuff I say either. That's life. As you know, those of us in the public eye can't please everyone, and therefore I don't try.

However, agree or not - I'm not going to pass his stuff around and call it my own. I'm involved with doing a time study on a manufacturers equipment as we speak, and when it is all done I'll have some rights to the data and I will make it available in an appropriate forum - but I sure wouldn't want someone passing it around and calling it their own either - and I'm certain that you wouldn't want that with the stuff you have written.

OK then...

That being said - I hope we can all help jrlb get where he wants with his quote so that he doesn't lose his shirt in the process.

#9 ·
The book John is talking about is the Labor Time Data Handbook and I have found it to be a usefull starting point in figuring out a lot of estimates, some figures are way off and others are right on so it is just a trial and error method but at least it is a starting point. As for Phil's experience in snow plowing I know Phil personally and mow lawns right across the street from his house and I know that at one time he had around 10 plow trucks and had quite a few large accounts around our area, so I know that at one time he had the experience to back up his books. I have found some of his stuff very useful and some of it not worth anything but all in all he has helped me. Just my two cents.

#10 ·
I bought the snow book mentioned above. It was $39 ($29?). After some delays in shipping, I finally got the book.

To answer the first question, it is 32 one sided pages. It also has some forms, and some parts breakdowns for a couple of plows.

It is "home published", photocopied pages with a comb binder. Some of the editing was done with white out, but content is what it is all about.

The book mainly talks of the business end of plowing. He does talk about what you need to have, and his list of spare parts may be a little extensive, but he does cover all the bases.

Did I learn something from the book? Yes. While reading the book does not make you into an expert snow contractor capible of taking on a 1300 site job, it did help me when I started. While I didn't agree with everything in the book, overall it was good. Did I learn enough to cover the cost of the book? Yes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.