1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow difficult to get in and out of ultra receivers

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Shade Tree NJ, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Shade Tree NJ

Shade Tree NJ Senior Member

Bought a new to me truck this summer with an ultra mount on it. Using my plow that would pop on and off older truck no problem. Now with this newer truck the plow doesn't want to just slide into receiver, gets about 3/4 way it and then starts to slide forward with truck pushing it. Removing it have to really work it out of truck, where as old truck would slide in and slide right off. Plow was only on for two days so def not rusting together all winter long. Same receivers as used on other truck. Someone had an idea to greese the forks on plow so will slide in easy and off easy but that seems like a mess waiting to happen.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Most likely its one of two things. Its in the wrong config or the pivot pins are jacked.

3. 1olddogtwo

After rereading it, pivot pins are the biggest problem removing it from the truck.

4. horizon jay

horizon jay Senior Member

I have had the same problem with my Ford! I just bring a big pry bar to help it on and off. On my newer Chevy it slides right on & off tho. I will look into pivot pins because my back cant take it anymore! I didnt know they were supposed to pivot lol. Makes sense!

5. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

I had the same problem, greased the forks on the plow and have not had any problems yet.

6. Shade Tree NJ

Will check the pivot pins in the morning and try greese ing up the forks and see if that works better

7. Shade Tree NJ

Which pivot pins am I checking? On the receivers or on the plow frame?

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You do loosen the chains up before unhooking Should be no tension on the chains

9. Shade Tree NJ

Never have loosened chains when unhooking, current truck or former truck

10. Antlerart06

Then you been lucky
    My 2 fords if you don't loosen the chain a little you wont put it on and it wont come off.

With chains loosen, it will slide on easier

11. Shade Tree NJ

Will try the loose chains when I take it off after this next storm on Saturda. Any tips for getting it to slide right in?

What pivot pins am I checking?

Will try the greese trick too

12. Antlerart06

I never had problem hooking it up when chains are loose
    I never had put grease on mine. I think that makes a mess

13. 1olddogtwo

Read have way down.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=1682301#post1682301

14. Shade Tree NJ

Thanks for the link

Will be checking them out when I go to put plow on in a little bit.

15. Antlerart06

16. Shade Tree NJ

Copy and paste web address and takes you to site

17. 1olddogtwo

18. Antlerart06

I did that and it sent me right back to this thread reason I posted what I said

His new link work

You try the chain thing? I know not all dealers tells this. A guy came by last year asking a trick getting his off. In my drive I showed him and this was on a chevy and plow was month old. He was WOW He said, he would drag it for 10' before would fall off at times. He said , his dealer never showed him that way.

But I can see the pivot pins rusting and not letting it fall off.
    The first year the ultra came out I bought one and this fall I had rebuild the center bolt area on pivot bar the bushings was gone. The pivot pins was rusty but wasn't frozen up. It had little wear but wasn't bad, so I put some grease on them and put back in.

19. 1olddogtwo

When they don't move complete"LY" they
    will not let the truck suspension decompress, in return there is still a good amount of weight sitting in the receivers. when the truck pulls back, the laid weight allows the plow to pull back with truck.

Once off the truck, the suspension will raise up and now the plow horns are at alower stance the the receivers. This makes it difficult to mount the plow also.

20. 1olddogtwo

If the config is wrong, then yes he will also have problems. I never had to remove chains. I see several problems doing that.