Please need help. 02 6.0 shaking violently

02GMC2500HD

So at about 60 mph i start to get a bit of a shake, nothing else i can notice up to there. As speed increases so does the shake until about 75 mph it feels like Im on washboard gravel, then at 80 mph, nothing wrong, drives smooth. Im not sure where to start on this one, maybe front driveshaft? anyone else have this kind of issue before? Ive had the tires balanced by a friend who says they are perfect.

Mebes

Nothing noticable around 45mph?

I have thrown weights off 2 different driveshafts over the years and the 70 to 80 range sounds about right but If I recall correctly there was some small vibrations under 50 as well.

Did this just start recently?
If it did take a look at your rear driveshaft looking for clean or less rusted spots where the weight would have been.

You can also attach a hose clamp (to act as a weight) to the drive shaft about 2/3rds of the way back and see if the problem changes in speed range or intensity.
This will hopefully confirm that the driveshaft is the problem.

On my first car that did this back in the 80's I pulled the driveshaft and had it re-balanced.

On my last one ~2010 I just moved the clamp around the shaft until I found the sweet spot and left it there until I sold the truck a couple of years ago.

Edit: http://www.demandaam.com/technical-support/aam-technical-tips/driveshaft-balancing

Last edited:

Philbilly2

PlowSite Fanatic
Is the shake in the steering wheel or felt in the body of the truck?

First idea would be to move your tires around. A broken belt on a tire will balance on a machine, but give you hell if it is on the front of the truck.

Avalanche 2500

PlowSite.com Addict
ck. tires, warn on one side / a bubble/broken belt. Ck. lug nuts for tightness. Just a esay way to start. Lift frt. end up
off the ground, ck. for tire wobble n/s. e/w. look for play in tie rod while moving/wheel bearing noise. Get a crowbar under tire/ground
lift up/down look for movement @ balljoints ??

m_ice

PlowSite Veteran
I'm going with something tire related as it goes away with the speedo pegged and the centrifical force balancing it out

Ajlawn1

PlowSite Fanatic
I'm going with something tire related as it goes away with the speedo pegged and the centrifical force balancing it out

Mine was the same, certain mph is when it did it... You either needed to slow down or speed up... But yes I would slow down... Felt like it was going to shake the truck apart... Suprised some windows didn't shatter tbh...

EWSplow

PlowSite Fanatic
Ahhhh yes the Ford death wobble... Mine was track bar but can be tie rods, tire balance, alignment... Need to get under there and see if anything is loose first...
Some jeeps had the death wobble. Usually the sway bar. A new stabilizer helped.
Makes for interesting driving. Floor it on the highway to get above shake speed and have to brake to get back below.

OP

02GMC2500HD

Thanks for all the replies guys and sorry @LapeerLandscape I work saturdays. 100% confirmed tires are good, and its most steering components are good (little slop in the gearbox maybe 2 degrees of play) its a whole truck shake, So Im about to go pull my front driveshaft out before i take it to the store for massive hose clamps(aluminum DS) just for kicks to see if its the front
Thanks for the replies guys ive been mulling over this. Ill probably update this tomorrow!

OP

02GMC2500HD

Update. Pulled front driveshaft and did a "fast" run to the parts store and its gone. So next week Im having both of them re-balanced by a local performance shop my buddy owns and we should be golden, and again, Thankyou for the speedy helpful replies @Mebes and others

m_ice

PlowSite Veteran
Update. Pulled front driveshaft and did a "fast" run to the parts store and its gone. So next week Im having both of them re-balanced by a local performance shop my buddy owns and we should be golden, and again, Thankyou for the speedy helpful replies @Mebes and others

That's strange...

Top Forums