Please help me with a salt spreader function issue with a condo

Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale

The problem is that the condo has concrete block steps, like Unilock. There is an open parking spot sized area in front of the entrance to the staircase. The landscaper is claiming when the truck comes down the parking lot it shoots salt 30 feet in all directions and as a result salt is being shot down the whole staircase. The salt is damaging the stairs. The contract calls for calcium on the stairs. Yet there is no calcium. The landscaper claims the truck will shoot the salt down the stairs. The problem is that the previous landscaper was able to not shoot salt everywhere.
The trucks being used are your typical F-series dumps.
Can the operator slow the spreader to control the spread of the salt? 30 feet in all directions? Can someone comment on this? Thanks.

Defcon 5

PlowSite Fanatic
Let’s start with what type of spreader...Tailgate...Undertailgate...Vbox??...Clydedsle...Are you a fellow Budweiser lover...It’s good to see another quality beer lover...

OP
C

clydesdale

I will try to get photos. Yes, I have been told and from what I can see it appears to be true that calcium is less caustic to concrete. So, it was suggested to seal the stair surfaces and switch to calcium.
I want to better understand the controls for the spreaders. I looked up the spec for a "Salt Dog" spreader and it can broadcast 2ft - 30ft. So, what would control that? Thanks guys. I have plowed many driveways over the years, but I the only salt account I ever had required a walk behind spreader. So, I have never had a truck mount spreader. Thanks.

OP
C

clydesdale

I believe the spreaders that are being used are the style where they are slid into the back of a pick up. It is not one of the little hoppers behind a tailgate.
Defcon 5 - not a big beer guy. On the occasion drinks are being consumed, it's tequila. :)

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic
I believe the spreaders that are being used are the style where they are slid into the back of a pick up. It is not one of the little hoppers behind a tailgate.
Defcon 5 - not a big beer guy. On the occasion drinks are being consumed, it's tequila. :)
I’m confused, is this your account or someone else’s account? If it is yours, how do you not know what spreader is being used for the parking lot? Another issue; It’s Mid March and you’re just now figuring out there’s no CaCl? Where’d it go?

OP
C

clydesdale

Someone else's account. I own a condo there. In the past I plowed driveways, many years ago. I have no clue what brand spreader. But, I know it is a slide in unit and not a plastic hopper on the back of a tailgate. I have been complaining about the salt dumped on steps all year. Management company has finally responded. They claim the truck spreader broadcast is 30 feet in all directions and that is why stairs are being pelted. They also claim that calcium chloride left out for residents to use in 5 gallon pales will be stolen.
This is one reason that I will not be buying another condo. You have to rely on too many people to do their job. At my house, I just do it, rather than begging.
I have experience plowing and understand what can and can't be done with a truck. I don't know how the spreaders function and what can and can't be done. Thanks.

On a Call

2000 Club Member
Someone else's account. I own a condo there. In the past I plowed driveways, many years ago. I have no clue what brand spreader. But, I know it is a slide in unit and not a plastic hopper on the back of a tailgate. I have been complaining about the salt dumped on steps all year. Management company has finally responded. They claim the truck spreader broadcast is 30 feet in all directions and that is why stairs are being pelted. They also claim that calcium chloride left out for residents to use in 5 gallon pales will be stolen.
This is one reason that I will not be buying another condo. You have to rely on too many people to do their job. At my house, I just do it, rather than begging.
I have experience plowing and understand what can and can't be done with a truck. I don't know how the spreaders function and what can and can't be done. Thanks.
If you are experiencing problems with the block degrading you might look at the block itself. I know we have an area salted for many years and they are holding up fine, Unilock https://unilock.com/blog/how-to-care-for-your-pavers-during-winter/

However if excessive amounts are being applied you might approach it from this stand point.

Photos for your records would be helpful.

Sealing might also be an answer for a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Forums