• PlowSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again PlowSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of PlowSite will experience a major upgrade next week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue.

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit PlowSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow PlowSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, PlowSite Team

pinging???

flakesmeangreen

'97 250HD, 351, 70k...if i start it and take right off it's pinging/tapping, if i let it idle for a few minutes first it's fine...obviously i'm no mechanic...what might it be? weather/temp doesn't seem to matter...

John DiMartino

PlowSite.com Veteran
its possibly piston slap in its early stages,or a noisy lifter.Hard to say from where i am without actually driving it,but thats my guess,does it do it worse under heavier loads,or as it revs up does it get louder,like right before it shifts to the next higher gear?

CT18fireman

Banned
Could be a problem with the computer controlled spark advance. If a sensor is bad or a vacumm line unattached then it may be sending a bad signal when cold. This could cause a wrong advance curve and lead to pinging.

RCIPlow

Just brought a 90 f250 with a 460 5 speed 2wd. my 96 f150 with the 302 5speed 2wd made the same noise. Its a lifter noise, but from what my mechanics tells me it usually doesnt happen to around 100k. Just let it warm up a few minutes. If it persist or bothers you, switch to a higher vescosity oil,or use an additive, like stp.

"Snowflakes are like pennies, by themselves, they aint much, put a whole bunch together, now you got something".
Regards,
Tim McGonigal
RCI
Atco, New Jersey