1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

pin tubes crushed

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Mar 8, 2008.

  1. Detroitdan

    Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,937

    Dont know the correct term, but the slot you stick the pins through when mounting the plow to the frame. On the plow side there are two little welded tubes the pins go through. I've worn and bent them to the point where I had to drive the pins out with a hammer and chisel, and I'm afraid to put the pins back in. Tried to ream the a little but got nowhere. I was thinking of going to the local welder and having him torch off the tubes and weld new pieces of pipe in, but how do I know what kind of pipe to get? It looks real heavy gauge, so I dont want him to just throw any old pipe on there and crush it.
    Any suggestions?
  2. 66 BADBOY

    66 BADBOY Member
    Messages: 97

    I've only looked at a Blizzard at a shop one time, but if its the part where I think you are talking about, the Blizzard dealer said those were designed to be sacrificial. Instead of ruining the plow, the bushings are rounded out. So you just buy new bushings and put them in the plow. Now that is IF its the same spot I think you are talking about.
  3. magnatrac

    magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,059

    On my 860 SW. the part # for the bushing is B40088. I think it is the same as all the other plows. It looks just like the ones on my 810. I think his is the part you are talking about. My manual says "Bushing, a- frame pivot, replaceable" Sounds like an easy fix Good luck, shaun
  4. fastjohnny

    fastjohnny Senior Member
    Messages: 654

    Field repair for those bushings would be to add some weld the flat sides of the bushing, touch it up with a grinder and/or diegrinder, then run a 3/4 inch drill through the bushing. I still have the original bushings in my 99 plow with many hours on it. The bushing material is softer than the weld bead. Once I've welded them a couple times, they last a long time, but wear on the mating face of the truck mount.

    On the 99 plows these are welded in, not bolted in like in later years. So a little more work would be required to remove them and replace with a new set, but they can be retrofitted.

    And IIRC, Jerre has some that are supposed to last longer.
  5. Detroitdan

    Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,937

    awesome, thanks guys. Maybe I'll see if the welding shop can ream them out for me and add some weld to the flattened outside part.
  6. lubricity

    lubricity Member
    Messages: 31

    By welding them you change the hardness. When you hit something, things move. Just buy new ones.
  7. Niteman9

    Niteman9 Senior Member
    Messages: 165

    If yours are welded in I would cut them out and replace with the newer style which bolt in. Thats an easier fix if you can not weld them yourself. Then in the future its just a few bolts and install a new set. Check out the pic and let us know if this it the part you are talking about.

  8. Jerre Heyer

    Jerre Heyer Senior Member
    Messages: 948

    Dan, On the older ones with the welded in bushing its fun cutting them out but can be done.

    Hack the center out and then plasma or torch out the old pcs. We've got just the tubes or the tubes and plates to replace them with in stock.