Pickup truck with plow vs tractor with a snowblower

An_Dy4

Does anyone know the pros and cons to plowing residential driveways with a tractor/ 6-8' snowblower vs a pickup truck with a snow. I currently use a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to plow driveways and I saw a real nice setup the other day of a guy who had a tractor with a v plow on the front and like an 8' snowblower on the back and got wondering how much quicker that setup would be or if it all depends solely on the type of driveway. I know the tractor setup would cost more money, but would you theoretically make more money because driveways are being plowed faster or more efficiently. And would you be able to charge more for a service that doesn't leave as big of piles and doesn't have as much risk of digging up a lawn?

OP
A

An_Dy4

Here's some light reading:

Thanks, thats the thread I was looking for. Figured there must be one somewhere in this forum but couldnt find one earlier. I'll read up on some of the 151 pages in a bit

lawntec

Tractor is much much faster to complete the job. It goes 37kph, so you will focus on route density, which will drive profits up! Tractors are nearly unstoppable, and people start relying on you to be the 'hero' who always was able to be reliable. I had a policy with my route that I would always clear at least 1 random persons driveway every time it snowed over 2" (for free). That helped me market bigly

My rig which I am about to list for sale in the for sale section can clear 200 driveways in 7 hours.

WIPensFan

PlowSite Veteran
Tractor is much much faster to complete the job. It goes 37kph, so you will focus on route density, which will drive profits up! Tractors are nearly unstoppable, and people start relying on you to be the 'hero' who always was able to be reliable. I had a policy with my route that I would always clear at least 1 random persons driveway every time it snowed over 2" (for free). That helped me market bigly

My rig which I am about to list for sale in the for sale section can clear 200 driveways in 7 hours.
Video or I call BS.

BossPlow2010

PlowSite Fanatic

Separate crew fir walks?

jonniesmooth

PlowSite Veteran
Separate crew fir walks?
My tractors do sidewalks too.
20210205_015930.jpg
20210205_020017.jpg

Not doing that with a truck.

20210205_030422.jpg
20210205_062002.jpg

And that's just finding the sidewalk edges
The contract calls for bare concrete.
Now we have to salt and let it work.
Then come back with the broom.

20210205_061839.jpg
20210205_160623.jpg

20210205_232017.jpg

I ran out of daylight getting this one done.
Temps were in the low single digits so not the best conditions to melt nearly 2" thick ice.
There's no perfect piece of equipment.
You have to weight the pros and cons of each with empirical data. Then you will know what is most effective.
After 25 years I know,for us:
1)Roading the tractor is more efficient than trailering it.
2)The diesel tractors save gallons of fuel over gas.
3)The blower/ broom does much nicer work for our customers then a truck pushing big piles in their yards.
4)A truck with a plow is nearly useless on most of our driveways,unless we break the Law and push snow across roads.
5)The "ease" of plowing the driveway with the truck,then doing walks with a paddle blower/ shovel, does not save time vs the tractor.
6) running a "driveway" tractor and a sidewalk crew separately doesn't work for us. Huge waste of fuel for the second truck.

Your results may vary.

lawntec

1 minute 33 seconds to be exact.

wipensfan: Call my bluff all day long man, you may do things different than me - but that doesnt make you smarter.

I have a condo complex that has 75 driveways. I guess you'd have to factor in the 0 drive time for those. I focused 8 years on a very dense route. My math doesn't lie.

Last edited:

Top Forums