Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
I currently own a Blizzard PH1 800HD straight blade on my 2005 Dodge 2500. Great plow, 13 yrs old, virtually problem free. I have a chance now to buy at a very decent price a mint condition Blizzard PH2 Speedwing 8600, (obviously just the blade/hitch/A-frame/light assembly are all one piece), no truck side anything.

I’ve wanted a Speedwing plow, but chances are slim to find a good condition PH1 Speedwing. I don’t want to go through the hassle/expense of removing my current PH1 undercarriage, then buying/installing PH2 undercarriage, light adaptors, possibly new controller, etc for this PH2 Speedwing.

Is it possible to simply swap out just the moldboard? Or even swapping the entire A-frame/moldboard if need be. Would either fit my existing setup? Moldboard itself looks like a very simple disconnect.

Very much appreciate your thoughts/suggestions guys! Thanks!

· Registered
15,308 Posts
Just discussed this exact issue in December. The moldboards are the same. A frames are different, remove the piviot bolt and angle rams, hook back up to new moldboard.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dieselss
Just getting around to swapping as discussed above. Again, moldboard swap from a 2012 PH2 8600SW plow to a 2005 PH1 800HD A-frame already on my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab. I know from being over your place several times that you are the local guru on Blizzard plows Damien so I value your input.

Question, the weight I question and it concerns me on my front end. I see that the listed plow weights from Blizzard vary, why I don’t understand. But...per the included Blizzard weight charts below, relative to the two plows involved here, my 05 Dodge Ram Quad, requires a #B32057 PH1 U/C, so basically my existing 2005 800HD blade is 734lbs, and B32057 A-frame is 139lbs, totaling 873lbs on my front end, or so. Now
the SW8600 blade is listed at 743lbs, 810lbs, or 880lbs (depending on which weight chart you choose to believe), plus the existing PH1 U/C at 139lbs, totals 882lbs, 952lbs, or 1022lbs on my front end. Now, after muscling (trying to) both these blades around, there is no way that SW weighs only 9 lbs more than that 8’ straight. It is a frigging beast. (And, the proper U/C frame for my truck, which I don’t have, which is why I’m swapping, is a #33883 that weighs only 40lbs, doesn’t make sense!). I’m inclined to guess the 880Lbs is the most accurate of the three listed weights. What do you think?? Even with 1200lbs counterweight behind my rear axle, that type of weight is probably too much for my truck. Lastly, if I was to go ahead with the swap and mount it on, would my PH1 800HD lift cylinder Be able to handle the extra weight of the SW8600 blade??

thx in advance Damien.
Ed, Rockland

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Minor correction, PH2 U/C #33883, 2005 Dodge Ram 2500, is listed at 60 lbs, not 40. But still, for that beast of a plow, less than 1/2 the weight of the PH1 U/C #32057 of 139 lbs?????? Doesn’t make sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.