Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some feedback. Here’s the problem, it took this new client 3 weeks of going back and forth between hourly , all inclusive seasonal or per push/ per ton salt, he signed late November 27, all inclusive seasonal option was chosen and signed , 2 days later he changed his mind to per push/salt application, no service was performed so money exchanged. December we serviced the property invoices due on receipt, he paid no problem. serviced this month (can only service upon request) no payments have been made in January yet, I asked the salesman for that account what was going on and he said “yeah I talked to him they only want to pay once a month so they will be paying on the 30th every month” In 20 years I’ve never come across this monthly payments on a per push contract. Is this normal for any of you?!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! I appreciate the advice Its good to hear it’s not that uncommon. Contract states “due upon receipt” I have no problem working with once a month payments, it’s the fact he keeps bouncing back and forth between how he’s going to pay and not following the contract terms, its rocky. We’re expecting up to 10” tomorrow with operational costs for a storm like that I was a little uneasy going further in the hole.

· Registered
17,111 Posts
Thank you! I appreciate the advice Its good to hear it's not that uncommon. Contract states "due upon receipt" I have no problem working with once a month payments, it's the fact he keeps bouncing back and forth between how he's going to pay and not following the contract terms, its rocky. We're expecting up to 10" tomorrow with operational costs for a storm like that I was a little uneasy going further in the hole.
OK, but you can not just assume. Contact him say via Email and get this straightened out now. Make sure he understands the date you agree on the payment is to be made in full. It is your responsibility to get bills and statements out. It can be a pain, I did paperwork all afternoon today.

· Registered
60,265 Posts

· Registered
4,305 Posts
In the last 30 yrs all my per push accounts have been billed monthly. I have one account now that wants to be billed after each storm. Its a pain in the butt! Tried to start billing monthly and she caught me!:eek: Now I'm back to per storm. I couldn't imagine the time it would take ! After each storm I enter billing into quick books and keep adding to that invoice until end of month, then hit email. Takes about 1 hr per month.

· Registered
2,391 Posts
We bill 2 days or 3 days after each event this year has been easy
Last year we did it once a week
If I billed once a month most of my customers wouldn’t pay till end of next month so I’d be 60 days out and I’m around $20,000 a storm in labor salt calcium fuel I couldn’t afford to wait 60 days to get paid
Most of my customers are smaller commercial lots prefer smaller bills then 1 larger
And yes o have some that take 60-90 says to pay but I’ve worked with most for several years

· Registered
6,180 Posts
We always billed monthly. We would put payable within 10 days on the invoice. 80% would pay within that time, the other 20% would pay within 20 days. As long as we were paid by the end of the month I didn’t care. Had a few resi customers who would send enough to cover the next months bill as well as the current one because they were going to be out of town for a while. Some people just get it. OP’s client sounds iffy though.

· Registered
6,367 Posts
In a perfect world you have the office staff and customers that are ok with it and the sooner you bill the better in terms of cash flow.
Us...we bill usually about a week after service. It gets into their system and they pay it however they pay every other invoice from us. So if they are 7-14 days (rare!) For lawn then that's how they are for snow.

· Registered
17,111 Posts
In the last 30 yrs all my per push accounts have been billed monthly. I have one account now that wants to be billed after each storm. Its a pain in the butt! Tried to start billing monthly and she caught me!:eek: Now I'm back to per storm. I couldn't imagine the time it would take ! After each storm I enter billing into quick books and keep adding to that invoice until end of month, then hit email. Takes about 1 hr per month.

· Registered
2,391 Posts
Heavy salt 50 tons light 40
Calcium 4 pallets
35 guys between shoveling machines trucks
NY my area wants instant results I could probably cut 8-10 guys out but we finish usually 4 -5 hours after storm is done
I like the extra trucks and guys Incase one goes down rest pitch in and client usually doesn’t notice difference

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.