Snow Plowing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys- sort of new to this site, but had a quick question. I live in buffalo NY and I was wondering how much you guys typically pay your employees an hr? I will supply the truck and all equipment needed to get the job done.

Also in the event I hired someone to plow and use their own truck how much do you guys typically charge?

Thank you!!

· Registered
774 Posts
Hey Guys- sort of new to this site, but had a quick question. I live in buffalo NY and I was wondering how much you guys typically pay your employees an hr? I will supply the truck and all equipment needed to get the job done.

Also in the event I hired someone to plow and use their own truck how much do you guys typically charge?

Thank you!!
How little can you pay?

Can you pay minimum wage?
Do you even get guys to show up?
No?
Then it's obviously more than that.

$15/hr?
Do the guys showing up seem like someoMe you can trust with a truck?
No?

Then it's more than that.

I mean it's really process of elimination

If I'm a big plow company paying more than you... you're just getting everyone I didn't want.
The less you pay, the farther down the pecking order you are, until they've all been through the top 10 guys around you and have either been fired or rejected.
That's what's showing up to fill your seats.

So if you pay half as much , but the guy takes twice as much time and damages your truck and your customers property... was it worth paying less?

So the answer really is, as much as you can. While at the same time, as little as you can.

If everyone is paying $18, pay $20... not $25

Lots of guys say "I can't afford to pay that much"
But the real question is can you afford to pay that little?

Can a higher paid guy screw up stuff?
Sure
But you're ten times as likely to attract applicants who care about their work if you pay well.

You can't ask me what I pay... because it will mean nothing in your market
Guys aren't getting on planes to leave here for $2/hr more and they are flying here from where you're at either....
The only rates that matter are your local competition ... same as your customers prices

But
If your $25/hr guy does an 8 hour route in 7 hours
That means even though your payroll is high, you can afford to be more competitive on your pricing

It's the difference between $70 x 2 and $80 x 1.5
Who's going to be low bid?
Heck you could be $90/hr and still get the job or $100/hr and still be competitive.

The ratios, nuances and factors of what do you pay and how much you charge are so much more involved, than just charging or paying what everyone else does.
Ask the question is more likely to lead you in the wrong direction with bad data, than it is to help you find your sweet spot.

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
I might
Do I have bills to pay?
Are my kids hungry?
Is rent due?
While that's possibly true, the more likely possibility these days is that you would offer someone $14/hr, he'll laugh at you, then go work for one of your competitors for $20/hr in a heartbeat since they are probably all hard up to find ANYONE, too.

· Registered
774 Posts
While that's possibly true, the more likely possibility these days is that you would offer someone $14/hr, he'll laugh at you, then go work for one of your competitors for $20/hr in a heartbeat since they are probably all hard up to find ANYONE, too.
Not everyone can find decent pay
I don't know what it is, or the positions just weren't advertised when people are desperate and looking.

I have guys working for me now that worked in other places for years for $12/hr , I haven't massively changed my pay scale ...
just that people thought they'd eventually get a raise and never did...

Other people assume they wouldn't fit in at a bigger company and/or wouldn't have the experience
I'm not sure what it is, but people who pay crappy occasionally have decent employees

· Premium Member
17,282 Posts
Not everyone can find decent pay
I don't know what it is, or the positions just weren't advertised when people are desperate and looking.

I have guys working for me now that worked in other places for years for $12/hr , I haven't massively changed my pay scale ...
just that people thought they'd eventually get a raise and never did...

Other people assume they wouldn't fit in at a bigger company and/or wouldn't have the experience
I'm not sure what it is, but people who pay crappy occasionally have decent employees
I'm going to speculate that the labor market in Alaska is VASTLY different than most elsewhere

· Registered
774 Posts
I'm going to speculate that the labor market in Alaska is VASTLY different than most elsewhere
Why would you think it's VASTLY different?

What does Alaska have to do with what I said?

I don't need to speculate
I'm well aware of what goes on in the lower 48.
Miracle of modern communication and frequent travel.
Nor have I spent the majority of my life or career here.

· Registered
774 Posts
It seems odd to hear anyone talk about having a labor pool to pick from full of guys willing to work for $12 per hour. But I have no employees, so perhaps I'm way off base and if so, I apologize.
There are people everywhere that are under paid.
There are people working OT and not getting that pay either.
People working for cash and have no workers comp or UI coverage...
Mostly because they don't know any better.

It's kinda the reason unions were invented to begin with, but those have also gotten out of control.
But at least unions teach you what your rights are as an employee.

Lots of "businesses" take advantage.. its in the workers nature (those that honestly want to work ) to be afraid of losing their jobs.
So they keep their head down and dream of the day they're fairly compensated.

Then you have the opposite
People who are "too good" to work for anything less than what amounts to an unreasonable rate for what skills they have.
This is largely the union mentality... I'd rather not work than work for less than "I'm worth"
But who determines that?
They're great in their own mind, until you hire them and they ask you where the master switch is on the loader and what these "knobby things" are and where the joystick is. ...

· Registered
15,921 Posts
I'm over paid.

· Registered
774 Posts
Shovelers start at $20 an hour
Skid steer and truck drivers start at $25 an hour and most are $30-$40
Loaded operator gets $45
Again that's only me in my area and never not had my guys show up
So yeah I probably over pay but all good guys very rare to have a complaint
$45 for a loader operator
What do you charge hourly for your loader?
What's your production rate (acres per hour) on four inches or less?

· Registered
774 Posts
Shovelers start at $14/hr can go up to $20.
Truck drivers start at $20 can go up to $30.
$20 for a shoveler?
Or do you mean sidewalk crew in general and that guy is a driver/leader that organizes other sidewalk people and operates a blower or other equipment... or do you mean literally you pay a grunt $20 an hour to shovel with no other responsibility?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.