Painting sanders

L

LI Brian

Started to refurbish my old flink 3 yard sander. I took the motor off and having that rebuilt and I am in the process of sanding and stripping the old paint. My question is what would you guys recommend that I paint the outside of the sander I want it to look good, but I also want it to hold up. I paint the insides with rustoleum every year but don't know what to use on the outside.
Thanks
Brian
BTW
Yankees take it in five

GeoffD

PlowSite.com Veteran
Painting outside is fine, if the temperature and weather conditions are correct.

I would use some snowplow paint for the outside.

If you want a good finish, you can try an epoxy based paint, for the inside and outside. I used that on a dump body, and believe me it worked well.

Geoff

PlowSite.com Addict
Epoxy based paint is good stuff.

One of our customers that I do a fair bit of welding for when required always makes sure their machinery gets sandblasted and painted with the epoxy based stuff anytime it's in the shop for major work. More $ up front, but it holds up well.

I know that aggregate equipment (crushers, screens, conveyors etc) isn't the same as a sander, but it's still used in a "severe service" environment.

plowking35

2000 Club Member
I got a lot of hassle last I wrote this, but we repainted with John Deere buff primer, and it has lasted 3 seasons so far with no problems.
Dino

PlowSite.com Addict
Good point Dino - I suspect that buff primer is a lot fewer $$$ than epoxy paint, and still looks quite presentable.

Depends on how fancy one wishes to go. Don't have a sander, but for my plow I just use good 'ol "rust paint", basic black dip job with red for the face of the moldboard and highlights on the ribs.

OP
L

LI Brian

Hey Dino,
How much for that buffer paint, where can I get it and what is it?
thanks
Brian

PlowSite.com Addict
Brian - I think Dino is "offline" right now, what he was referring to is yellow John Deere primer - kind of a "buff" colour:

Well we painted last year with yellow John Deere primer. It is cheap, easy to find and hold up great. The spreader used staright salt last year and no sign of rust, oh yeah its stainless. But I also own an airflow mild steel spreader, and thats the one we painted. The backs we top coated black, but the fronts we just sprayed 2 coats of primer, and it didnt wear off, or flake. Nad trust me the prep was porr at best, it just adheres to everything great.
Looks like a trip to the JD dealer might be in order! :cool:

OP
S

snowdrifter

i'd look into getting the outside sprayed like they do with the spray on bedliners.i'm getting my tailgate spreader frame done next week.i've allready got my back rack done and looks amazing, hasn't worn off even sliding lumber and ladders over it. as for the inside the other guys seem to have some good ideas. all depends on cost of sprayed or paint.i get a bit of a deal since i have given the company alot of business. i think the sprayed liner is worth the money,but thats just because i hate to see rust, and hate blasting and painting them every 3 or 4 years.just my 2cents worth

Mike Nelson

If you guys are looking to buy paint,call Bob at Magnet Paint 631-842-7700

They have all kinds of paint.We just painted our pug mill with 10 gallons of yellow primer and 10 gallons of new Cat yellow,I think the total cost of everything was less than $300 yes $300.It looks awesome.
We used our Graco airless striping machine that has 50 ft. of hose and 5 gallon capacity.

Good Luck
Mike Nelson
Environmental Surface Treatments,Inc.
Fishkill,N.Y.
Regional distributor of Ice Ban Products
1-877-Snowgone(766-9466)
Sima Member

P.S for the inside we sell Koate a rust corrosion shield in five gallon pails and 55 gallon drums.You may call for pricing.