1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Paid by the Veterans Administration

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by glenspot, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. glenspot

    glenspot Senior Member
    Messages: 255

    I'm sure this will be fine....I just wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience.

    I gave a quote to a couple today, who said that the "VA" (Veterans Administration) will pay the bill. They have to send the invoice in to them, and the VA will pay me directly.

    (For this reason, I gave them a seasonal price, and invoiced them in advance. Her husband is in a wheel chair and is a disabled veteran. In addition to the tiny driveway they wanted the wheelchair ramp shoveled.)

    Have you ever done this? Has the payment come in a reasonable amount of time?

  2. Mick

    Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine
    Messages: 5,546

    Glen, I worked for the VA for several years. In my position, I purchased many millions of dollars worth of goods and services for disabled veterans. Please read through this completely. My strong advise is to make sure, by contacting the VA Director's office, regarding this person having authority to contract for services. There are some individual houses on VA grounds, but, in my experience, all services are provided through the VA. Individual residents do not arrange for services.

    Use caution when someone says someone else will pay. Have a contract with the VA spelling out exactly what is to be provided. Generally, there is a bidding process which must be open to all suitable contractors. There will usually be a VA Contract Officer awarding the contract. There are some exceptions to the bidding requirement, but the veteran will not be the authority to purchase.

    It appears this is a Disabled Veteran's residence. While the VA does provide modifications to a house needed to accomodate a disability, I am not aware of any program for "maintenance" of the home (which this would be termed). Regardless, the service (modification or otherwise) is arranged with a VA employee. The veteran does not have the authority to arrange this. A veteran cannot obligate the Veteran's Administration.
  3. glenspot

    glenspot Senior Member
    Messages: 255

    Thank you


    Thank you very much for your help.
    I am going to watch this carefully.

    I certainly won't be doing any service until the check is received.

  4. crashz

    crashz Senior Member
    Messages: 256

    Simply ask your client who the contact is at the VA to arrange for payment. You should then have the VA sign your contract for the services at your client's house.