1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

    Dismiss Notice

Over 10k GVWR and cross state lines?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PatrickCampbell, Nov 17, 2006.

  1. PatrickCampbell

    PatrickCampbell Junior Member
    Messages: 23

    Seems like everybody here is concerned about staying legit. Wonder if all of you guys with 10,001 GVWR and higher who leave their home state know you need a USDOT number, the and whole 9 yards that go along with it (medical card, 750k insurance on file, hours of service, maintenance records, etc.)? I see landscaping trucks here, all duallies pulling trailers and none of them have USDOT numbers.
  2. Big Dog D

    Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict
    Messages: 1,134

    You haven't looked close enough at mine then. i have them on all of my trucks with the exception of the Expedition and my truck which is not lettered.
  3. Mick

    Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine
    Messages: 5,546

    In the instances that you note, you are correct since they are obviously on business. However when I went on a trip to Iowa several years ago, I took my one ton registered Commercial for 12,000 lbs. I had the same concern and called the State of Maine Dept of Transportation. They advised me these things were not necessary if I was the sole owner of the vehicle and was not engaged in interstate commerce. If stopped, I was ok if I was on a personal pleasure trip. I was, however, required to meet inspection requirements for a commercial vehicle, including trianges and mounted fire extinquisher. That will also apply to someone who uses their commercial vehicle to cross state lines to get supplies to use in their business (not for resale). I had one trooper pull in behind me with lights flashing just before I got to Jerre's in Erie. Apparently, he got called to something more important since he all a sudden cut across the median and took off the other way. Or maybe it was just the light that was out.:mad:

    Don't you also have to be over 100 miles from home for those to be required?
  4. bltp203

    bltp203 Senior Member
    Messages: 484

    The 100 miles from homebase rule applies to using a logbook.
  5. Proscapez LLC

    Proscapez LLC Senior Member
    Messages: 293

    What about The ICC #. I know for a fact the application fee is $25K!
  6. mike33

    mike33 Senior Member
    Messages: 335


    Yes the 100 miles is for log book and they have a term for it ( i call it the way the crow flies ). As far as a dot # get it! It is free and painless to get. Then just carry the goodies: fire ext., triangles, physical card, they are all a very worth while thing to have any way.
    If you are plowing snow dot seems to be pretty lax on it in my area compared to regular weather trucking.
  7. PatrickCampbell

    PatrickCampbell Junior Member
    Messages: 23

  8. Mick

    Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine
    Messages: 5,546

    Thanks for the link, Patrick. I am convinced that I do NOT want to start hauling hotshots like I was thinking about.